Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza using CGS Adjustable Rig?

Options
Hey, gang.

If I'm using an Adjustable Rig from Ceramic Grill Store to get a pizza stone (14'') as high in the dome as possible, am I better off putting another layer of deflectors (smaller stones) on the grid at the felt line level, or further down in the firebox (like would be sitting on a Spider?)

Thinking of doing 500 with parchament paper (works great in the over at 500) for a few minutes, then pulling and doing another 6 min or so till done.  Is that too hot?  Should I drop to 450?

Dough is homemade (75% 00 flour mixed with 25% freshly ground whole wheat flour) with ~70% hydration.

Thanks for any/all help!
Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)

Comments

• Northarrow
    Northarrow Posts: 103
    Options

I will be moving my Pizza assembly line to the adjustable rig soon.  I currently use a pizza stone on top of my plate setter legs down.  I use a few copper fittings to create an air gap between the plate setter and pizza stone.  I do the same as you; 500-525 degrees, parchment paper for the first few minutes, then the pie slides right off.  We’ve always had good success with that method.

With the adjustable rig, I plan on getting the pizza stone on top of the rig extender, and use the oval ceramic stone I bought with the rig on a lower rack.

Kennebunk, Maine
  • stonewh
    stonewh Posts: 169
    Options
    It took me a while to get pizzas down for some reason but I believe I have figured it out now. Northarrow's second part is exactly what I do, I have the AR with the oval stone and rig extender, I then just place the pizza stone on top of the rig extender and go from there. I have had some good success using this method. Hope this helps.
    Birmingham, AL
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I put a stone on the spider for indirect, and then I put the pizza stone on the rig extender on top of my adjustable rig.  Works great.
    NOLA
  • TMay
    TMay Posts: 87
    Options
    I bought the adjustable rig and the extender rack for it. I also modified my plate setter (cut the turned up part of the legs off).  I put in the plate setter in, add the adjustable rig and then put the extender on top of that with my stone.  Works for me, I'd guess it would work just as good with the pizza stone on top of the adjustable too.
    Rowlett, Texas
  • propofol
    propofol Posts: 22
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've done pizza three times now on my XL CGS adjustable rig and Woo 2 combo.  I've got it dialed in and I'm making perfect pies now.  Here's my setup:
    17.5" ceramic stone in the Woo 2 to act as a platesetter.  BGE XL grid on top of the Woo 2.  Adjustable Rig is placed on the BGE XL grid with another 17.5" ceramic stone on level 3 (which is 3" above the fire ring) and pizza on that. 

I'm running with the dome temp at 600. I'm measuring the pizza stone temp with an infrared thermometer and the first pizza doesn't go in until the stone temp is at 500 degrees.  Dough is store bought at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.

The first time I did pizza I had the stone on the top ring, for the 2nd time the next day I brought it down to level 4.  I wasn't happy with either because the toppings were finishing before the crust was done.  This past weekend I decided to try the stone at Level 3 and it's perfect for me... crust and toppings are now finishing together. 

Here are some pics from my last batch of three pies over the weekend: