Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet Mignon on a cast iron skillet

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
clarified butter, kosher salt, pepper, and steak seasoning; cast iron skillet direct at 500*. Poured some more clarified butter in to cook and basted with the pan juices. Med rare at 125*. Pulled and rested. First time using the cast iron pan on the Egg. It was good but I think we like steaks better on the grate. But I see other possibilities; like diner burgers and other small stuff. 
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• thegooddocta
    Options
    Those are some big filets - nice!
    Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
    Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    That's one nice crust I see here.  We also prefer steaks cooked direct on the grill.

Options
    Those are some big filets - nice!
    They're from Sam's Club in a 4 pack. Decent for $14/#. 
    Member since 2009
    Options

paqman said:
    That's one nice crust I see here.  We also prefer steaks cooked direct on the grill.
    I liked the crust too. I think I overdid it with the clarified butter. And didn't get the grill smoke taste from dripping juices on the hot coals. 
    Member since 2009
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Too much butter will affect the taste. They look great.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I like to start them in the skillet and then move to the grid. Best of both worlds. 
    Options
    I like to start them in the skillet and then move to the grid. Best of both worlds. 
    Great idea.  Wish I'd thought of that.  Good front end sear and then grill smokiness to finish.
    Member since 2009
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    500 said:
    Great idea.  Wish I'd thought of that.  Good front end sear and then grill smokiness to finish.
    I do it the other way. Reverse sear, finish on my baking steel for the crust. I still get the grill flavor from the "reverse".
    Options
    500 said:
    I do it the other way. Reverse sear, finish on my baking steel for the crust. I still get the grill flavor from the "reverse".
    So, just warm the CI off to the side while grilling, and then pan it at around 110*-115* IT?  Oil in the pan?
    Member since 2009
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    This is a post from the past, how I do filets.  I used to buy whole filets from Costco and cut them into steaks and freeze. Thinner ones for my wife and thicker for me. She always had some left over and since they were past medium, I didn't want to finish hers. So we had another couple over last night and I took a whole filet and cut a section that would give us each a 2" piece, knowing the ladys would only want a thin slice and us guys would get a thicker piece. Cooked at 300 on raised grid, had a CI griddle on the spider below. Pull at 110-115 and rested. Removed the grid and opened up the vent, got to 600 in a matter of minutes. Seared 90 seconds on each quarter turn (total of 6 minutes). Pulled and it was 125-130, tented and rested for 10 minutes.

I had seasoned with worcestershire sauce and my espresso-cocoa rub. After the rest, set it on a board sauce of EVOO, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Sliced two 3/4" pieces for the women and guys each got pieces over 3" thick. The result was no left over pieces and everything was a perfect medium rare. Personally I don't care much for filets, as they don't have much flavor, so we made a gorganzola cream sauce that was great and had some left over dressing and VI's jalapeno cream corn.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Monaarts
    Monaarts Posts: 191
    Options
    I could imagine some steak burgers on here could be good.