Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - wireless Internet router shopping

Options
texaswig
texaswig Posts: 2,682
edited March 2015 in EggHead Forum
I've finally got pissed with my old router. Tired of trying to get it to do right. What's the best router for under 250 dollars. Looking at maybe Asus. I've had good look with them so far. Also long range a plus. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
Greenville Tx

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I've heard good things about Asus, there are more knowledgeable people then me about the subject that could talk your ear off about what it does, how to set it up, etc. I just know the one I have from D-Link works, I'm covered throughout my entire yard for mowing/yard work.  Granted, my Yard is pretty small. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I assume you're talking about wireless access points.  Routers are dirt cheap.  I just replace two of mine with western digital dual-bands that I bought, I think off woot, brand new for $19/each.  Been in service for a month and they're working perfectly.  The 5GHz is screaming fast.  Not everything operates on the N protocol so it will connect at 2.4. 

Just look for a deal, check the customer reviews on Amazon or newegg and pull the trigger.  You don't need to spend a lot of money on a commercial unit - not worth it for home use.  As far as range goes, placement goes a long way, also you can do what I did, put one in the front of the house, one in the back and one in the shop.  Full coverage anywhere on our property.
    Options
    Lol. I normally think computing  first but this time  I thought you were woodworking! 
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    PS Netgear has treated me well
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    swordsmn said:
    Lol. I normally think computing  first but this time  I thought you were woodworking! 
    I thought that for a brief second until I saw Asus ;)

I have 6 of those.  My favorite is the Festool.
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Problems done. I was telling a buddy about needing a new one. He said" don't buy one I've got a nice one, I'll  work you a deal on. " I've just got to fix some scratches on his daughters car. Something I would have gladly did for free anyways. We've been friends a long time. This thing is a beast. Works like a champ. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Dang! you have a good friend. I was wondering if anyone uses time capsule. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I use time machine with my Drobo.  It's a pain to do a complete restore, I did one a few months back, but it worked flawlessly, and my systems get backed up every 15 minutes.
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ubiquiti's products are awesome, and a big step up from OTS stuff.

We get connectivity a block and a half away with this model, but the pro is nice too.  This long range model is less expensive.

https://store.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-40.html

NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @buzd504 - that's awesome. Thank you.
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Netgear for me too
    Gambrills,Maryland

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I use time machine with my Drobo.  It's a pain to do a complete restore, I did one a few months back, but it worked flawlessly, and my systems get backed up every 15 minutes.
    that thing is intimidating 

LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    Been running Asus for a while now,  best router I've ever had.  Started with a linksys that lasted abut 4 years and provided good service,  but needed it to stream HD video around the house and over the Internet.  Linksys want up to the task, but the Asus handles it no problem.  Highly recommend rt68 model if memory serves. 
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I was looking at the Asus rt-ac87u. But this one came up. The signal is awesome. I'm gonna get some backup stuff going soon. Google Drive has free unlimited for teachers. Wife's a teacher so I'm gonna get her to get all signed up for us to have that. I've also got a extra 2 terabyte drive. Probably do a nas.

scott 
    Greenville Tx