Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crazy idea: Inject with drippings during cook?

Options
thegooddocta
thegooddocta Posts: 264
I'm egging a 9# Boston butt low and slow this weekend, and had a crazy idea. What if I were to inject at a couple of points during the cook with the drippings from my drip pan? I know the flavor of the drippings would be great since I often make sauces from it, and I wonder if it would actually help me to accelerate the cook while remaining low and slow? My thought is that not only would I be injecting delicious flavor, but also some heat from the hot drippings! Crazy enough to work or just plain crazy? Anyone have experience with this approach?
Mike - (1)LBGE, HeaterMeter v4.2.4
Little Rhody Egger - East Greenwich, RI

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I don't think they will help it cook faster since the temp will drop quite quickly due to pulling it, drawing it up, then injecting into "cooler" meat. It could certainly help flavor but I bet you could get the same effect mixing it into the pulled meat.
  • thegooddocta
    Options
    Thanks @Eggcelsior !
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i sometimes inject thin vinegar sauces during the cook. have had good success with pork butts and turkeys and know that others inject broth type flavors during the cook into briskets. i dont know if i would inject straight drippings but you could certainly mix it up. there is no mess injecting in the egg, wait for the plateau and you will get more to stay inside verse injecting into cold meat
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thegooddocta
    Options
    Great suggestion @fishlessman !
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    IMHO, you can sauce the pulled pork with drippings, acetic acid, spices and it makes it pop.  Pork is so hard to f*ck up, wider than most latitude (AKA forgiving) to under/over cook.  I don't see the need to inject at all unless you're not good at pulling it off when it's done.  I'm sure in a field of competition it may help, or maybe it would have won (the people that swear by it) without it.