Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Instant read thermometer

Options
Charger
Charger Posts: 19
I just got this one any opinions would be appreciated thanks in advance

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thermapen is the consensus pick 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    We carry both the thermopens and these Maverick ones from BGE. I use mine regularly athw and don't find much if any difference between this model and my thermppens. It is also lit and has a convenient temp chart on it. 
  • ChillyWillis
    Options
    +1 on the thermapen. I have no idea how I ever cooked without it. 
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    How much is it?   I have the thermopop.  Backlit quick and awesome for $30.  Thermapen is quicker bit a lot more expensive. 
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    jcaspary said:
    How much is it?   I have the thermopop.  Backlit quick and awesome for $30.  Thermapen is quicker bit a lot more expensive. 
    It's around the same price as a thermopen. You pay for the speed. 
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    love my thermapen...worth 90bux
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    If you have the receipt I highly recommend the Thermapen. You will be hard pressed to find a negative review 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Charger - return that one. If you're okay spending ~$100 then buy the backlit Thermapen. Otherwise, get the thermopop. Solid products from a company with superb customer service. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    @Charger @caliking knows his stuff. I have a non backlit Thermapen that I got when I first got an Egg 4 or 5 years ago.  I bought a couple of thermopops intending them to be gifts for friends this Christmas.... I kept them both.  Truly fantastic equipment that will improve your cooking on the egg and in the kitchen. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Backlit Thermopen is the one... SWMBO uses it in the kitchen as much as I do...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options