Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying to get the scoop on Ozark Oak

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,898
Yellville, AR which is home of Ozark Oak is a tiny burg of just 1,200. I thought maybe I could find out the story so I posted this. No response so far, but here's the link if you want to follow it yourself.
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/yellville-ar/TH7UBFTQKE0U0NSCS
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• RRP
    Options
    BTW - I hit the subscribe button so I'll be alerted to any replies - so you need not check it from time to time and I'll let you know when and if I hear anything!
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Maybe you will get some info Ron. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Thanks detective Ron.  I'm very interested to hear what's going on.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• RRP
    Options
    Maybe you will get some info Ron. 
    Of course being a small town maybe they don't like outsiders poking around! OTOH from what I see there isn't much business there so surely OO employed some of the townsfolk and closure has some economic impact. BTW I also emailed the Yellville Chamber of Commerce for information. Call me an investigative reporter! LOL
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Just saw this on FB... If it's true, that's a shame
  • RRP
    Options
    Hmmmm, for some reason the moderators are letting this thread sink. What is offensive about trying to find out what has happened to a popular lump? 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,128
    Options
    odd on sinking .... anyway I subscribed to this thread so I can track.

I hope they don't come and take my eggs away!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • RRP
    Options
    hapster said:
    Ok - I'll bite...saw what? Was there supposed to be a link or are you just being funny? 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Scroll down on Rons link and read the Has anyone heard of Tiffany Paxton link. The Santa Claus comment in it is pretty funny.
  • RRP
    Options
    Lit said:
    Scroll down on Rons link and read the Has anyone heard of Tiffany Paxton link. The Santa Claus comment in it is pretty funny.
    You are correct! Sounds like some *ss wuppin gonna take place by the Paxton clan! BTW I also had to laugh at what the Yellville Chamber of Commerce said about the town. I quote "The city of Yellville, a city of the second class, was chartered in 1872." Second Class? I can hear Dueling Banjos playing in the background! 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Lit said:
    That and stinky pinky's comment as it relates to their username. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Ok, that Paxton thread was worth the price of admission. 
  • saluki2007
    Options
    RRP said:
    hapster said:
    Ok - I'll bite...saw what? Was there supposed to be a link or are you just being funny? 
    Fire Crafts facebook page said they were no longer making the lump.  Think someone mentioned it on the original thread that was made yesterday.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• RRP
    Options
    Fire Crafts facebook page said they were no longer making the  someone mentioned it on the original thread that was made yesterday.
    Yes I posted my phone call to OO yesterday - guess he missed that thread.
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    That Paxton thread was great...I'm trying not to crack up in my cube
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • saluki2007
    Options
    And this is why I no longer have facebook...https://www.facebook.com/tiffany.p.barker
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• johnkitchens
    Options
    RRP said:
    Hmmmm, for some reason the moderators are letting this thread sink. What is offensive about trying to find out what has happened to a popular lump? 
    I get the feeling we are only supposed to talk about how great the BGE lump is. 

• PlanoPokes79
    Options
    sounds like a buy out to me going to be bagged under another name, from what I've heard
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    sounds like a buy out to me going to be bagged under another name, from what I've heard
    We haven't heard that. Tell us what you know. 

• RRP
    Options
    That's not what the lady told me on the phone yesterday!
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    Ron it sounds like it is time for an interrogation. You round up @PlanoPokes79, and I will get the bright light. 

• jwilli22
    jwilli22 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just placed my first order of OO with FireCraft. I received a voicemail this afternoon saying "Ozark Oak is no longer available. They will no longer be selling under that Brand name" For what it's worth.

• RRP
    Options
    So it's going to be like the singer formerly known as Prince but instead "the lump formerly known as Ozark Oak"? It makes no sense to abandon a product with a great national name and reputation and now call it XYZ lump. I still hope the sex hi-jinks at "Paxton Place" formerly known as Yellville will reply to my inquiry of this morning! After all this thread is sinking fast!

• johnkitchens
    Options
    On Facebook they are saying the same thing concerning bagging with another name. If that is true I guess someone wrote a decent sized check.

@RRP maybe this thread is sinking for a reason?????? Maybe we have uncovered something a little ahead of schedule.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @johnkitchens if that's so, I'd think it something new. As far as I can tell, BGE doesn't actually manufacture anything. RO makes their lump, their wireless thermo is relabeled maverick, they don't make the ceramics... I think of them as a marketing/sales machine. 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    As far as I can tell, BGE doesn't actually manufacture anything. RO makes their lump, 
    And they wonder why people prefer other brands. 

• RRP
    edited March 2015
    Options
    EDIT:  I was typing this while the aforementioned point was being made, which is similar to my point.

Could be I suppose, but to the best of my knowledge BGE doesn't fabricate anything but out sources everything! I mean the ceramic is produced for them in Mexico and the metal parts are mostly out sourced to China. I don't believe they fabricate any thing and I wonder why they would suddenly sink hard capital to buy a lump producer clear up in AR quite close to MO. OTOH if you are correct then OO would make a great acquisition given its reputation! 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I am sure they didn't buy OO I was just having fun with the sinking thread theory. It does appear however, at least according to the rumors, that something is up with all of this. 

Unless BGE is getting OO to be the "New & Improved" BGE lump. I kid, I kid. No one panic. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Even if that was true it would prolly cost $40 for a 20lb bag.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    Options
    Even if that was true it would prolly cost $40 for a 20lb bag.  
    LOL - I had the same thought!