Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SOME PASTRAMI

Options
added some simmered down garlic and pepper to the water changes over two days, then smoked the corned beef point at 250 with maple, used more garlic and pepper for the rub. the garlic in the water soak really gave it more a pastrami taste than just smoked corned beef, used a whole head each water change, two changes.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    That looks really good - tell me how you prepared the garlic and pepper before adding to the water?
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Man that is on "point"!
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Legume said:
    That looks really good - tell me how you prepared the garlic and pepper before adding to the water?
    i just simmered a peeled/smashed,/coarse cut whole head and 1/4 cup pepper til it softened and you could start to smell it, then added to the cold water. strained it out during the first water change and added it and another head simmered with more pepper for the second water change
    fukahwee maine

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Did the complete cook on the egg or did you finish in a different manner? Yours looks fantastic where the one I did last week looked like a regular brisket. I finished it after a over night rest in the fridge and then steamed it back up to temp.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Did the complete cook on the egg or did you finish in a different manner? Yours looks fantastic where the one I did last week looked like a regular brisket. I finished it after a over night rest in the fridge and then steamed it back up to temp.
    normally i would cool it down after smoking, then steam and slice for pastrami ruebens. this one was smoked to 180, then chilled and sliced thin, might reheat in broth tonight and make a pastrami au jus sandwich. very happy with the overall flavor, slightly garlicky, not too salty, really nice fat marbling in this piece, will have to remember the freirich label, not that hideous red some corned beef has
    fukahwee maine

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Legume said:
    i just simmered a peeled/smashed,/coarse cut whole head and 1/4 cup pepper til it softened and you could start to smell it, then added to the cold water. strained it out during the first water change and added it and another head simmered with more pepper for the second water change
    Interesting, I might try that next time.  I've always just used plain water to bring out the salt, and then used a pepper, coriander, juniper berry rub.

Using the water as a marinade while reducing salt content sounds like a good idea. 
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I'll have to add some garlic to my water also this week when I soak mine.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Last one I did I smoked to 180 IT and then put in fridge.  The next day I put in a pressure cooker for an hour - about 15-20 min longer than I usually do when I don't fridge it first.  After an hour, I opened it up and tested with a bamboo skewer and it just wasn't jiggly enough, so cranked it up for another 15 min in the pressure cooker, so that's ~ 75 min under pressure and it was good after that.  Color and taste was same as always, no washout of the red stuff at all.  I usually soak 18-24 hours changing the water once or twice.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    I've been thinking about doing some myself.  Nice looking cook.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Legume said:
    Last one I did I smoked to 180 IT and then put in fridge.  The next day I put in a pressure cooker for an hour - about 15-20 min longer than I usually do when I don't fridge it first.  After an hour, I opened it up and tested with a bamboo skewer and it just wasn't jiggly enough, so cranked it up for another 15 min in the pressure cooker, so that's ~ 75 min under pressure and it was good after that.  Color and taste was same as always, no washout of the red stuff at all.  I usually soak 18-24 hours changing the water once or twice.
    I usually smoke mine to about 160 internal (before the stall), and then go straight to the pressure cooker for the finish.  After the pressure cooker, cut off a hunk to snack on right away, and refrigerate the rest for slicing thin the next day.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.