Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Question for Yeti Rambler Owners

Options
I'd like to compare notes with you ...

I've had my Rambler about 6 months now. When I first got it, I could fill it to the top with ice and water and I could retain lotsa ice thru the day and have quite a bit in the cup the next morning.

As time went by, I noticed the ice was all but melted by late evening and none in the morning.

I take extreme care of my stuff, especially my $35 dollar Rambler. I called Yeti and explained the situation, which they basically told me there is not a problem with the Rambler - but would warranty the lid.

I've had the new lid 2 days now and still have the same problem.

Curious as to what Rambler owners are experiencing.

Tim
I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I notice the same but it is  still way better than an ordinary glass. If I remember right 
    @hapster got a replacement. Mine was in the dishwasher once. I don't know if that did it in or not. 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @grege345 Agreed. Just thinking out loud but, I wonder if their $500 dollars coolers have the same problems.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I could sure see it being an issue if it goes through the heat/dry cycle in the dishwasher.
    Mine is only about 2 months old and still the best tumbler I have owned so far.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    @Photo Egg  ... keep this posting in the back of your mind and let me know in 6 months.
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    @SoCalTim do you think it is our weather for the last couple of weeks  =) as I thought the same thing the other day but inside my car was 100 degrees you got to love living in SoCal 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited March 2015
    Options
    it is what it is, im not even going to bother contacting em. It does its job for the most part and thats hold the cold.
    But as far as it performing like it did out the gate, nope.
    I have both sizes and for coffee, no better than your $7 tumbler from target.

Also i cant be the only one who accidentally tips over the large , and i swear that little opening sure does let the liquid gush out.
    Hand washed only here.

That is all...
    Seattle, WA
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I have both sizes, I use the small for coffee and the large for ice water.  I have experienced no change in the 5 months I have had them. 
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    @Photo Egg  ... keep this posting in the back of your mind and let me know in 6 months.
    Will do Tim. I would like to hear from someone who has one in bad enough shape they would sacrifice it, and cut it open to see what the insulation type might be. A vertical cross cut. Wonder if it "settles"?
    6 months would be short time for material to break down but you never know. Loss of air tight seal?
    Let us know if you find out more.
    Interesting post.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have had mine since hapsters post. I use the large for water and the small for coffee every day. I haven't noticed any change but mine have never been in the washing machine.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    Photo Egg said:I would like to hear from someone who has one in bad enough shape they would sacrifice it, and cut it open to see what the insulation type might be. A vertical cross cut. Wonder if it "settles"?
    Okay, someone with a tumbler that doesn't insulate well anymore:  Shake it up like a Polaroid picture, and see if it works better then.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    I don't own one, but I'd sure like to see someone cut one in half. Purely out of curiosity. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I believe there is some kind of vacuum insulation between the walls of the cup.  It seems like some cups are not keeping ice well because that vacuum is lost. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BGE Convert
    BGE Convert Posts: 127
    Options
    The video on the YETI website does give you a picture of the Rambler that has been cross cut.....
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I have noticed a huge difference from when I first got the cup and now with ice.  

I have only washed by hand and babied the thing too.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    I'm gonna give Yeti a call and start asking some questions ... I spent alot of $$ on the Rambler.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    mines been cold all winter and i havent needed to put ice in it =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    Options
    couple months - so far so good...
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    I'm gonna give Yeti a call and start asking some questions ... I spent alot of $$ on the Rambler.
    ask for Franco.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Their CS replaced mine for warranty saying that most likely the vacuum was compromised. I only hand washed it, and that was on about 6 times at that... 

Fairly easy experience... He did mention that the more ice in the unit, the better it would retain it
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    The video on the YETI website does give you a picture of the Rambler that has been cross cut.....
    But where's the fun in that?
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    Follow up - I just called Brian @ Yeti ... told him 'My cup ain't workin' no more' ... he laughed and said 'not workin' ... 'how can that be'?

I told him how there's no Yeti magic left in the cup no more ... he told me he would send a new cup to me along with an RGA # so I could send the 'defective' Rambler back. 

He told me to write a note, put it inside the cup so the guy inspecting it in the R&D dept would let him see whats going on ... and that he would personally call me and tell me what happened.

To be continued ...
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    FYI
    FedEx just dropped off a surprise for my wife, a 20oz Rambler... She couldn't wait to make some coffee to put in it :)
  • Mastro
    Mastro Posts: 9
    Options
    Same experience here! I've had it for a year +, never put it in the dishwasher and definitely doesn't hold Ice as long as my wife's brand new one...
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I think over time the lid looses it's "factory fresh" seal from the constant on/off.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• fishepa
    fishepa Posts: 211
    Options
    I out my Yeti's in the dishwasher all the time. Haven't noticed them underperforming but also haven't really checked. 
    War Damn Eagle!
  • Zaltydog
    Zaltydog Posts: 106
    Options
    Both my 20 oz. and 30 lost their vacuum. They replaced without question and without a receipt. I do not put the new ones in the dishwasher. Do not know if that was the issue, but decided to quit doing that. 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Ive had mine 18 months.  I did switch to using a straw and an RTIC lid so the straw fits.

If I let the ice melt down at any time like the cooler it wont keep that next ice as long.  But as long as I keep ice in it at a decent level it still works well.  It will hold ice overnight easy enough.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I remember watching this a wild back.  Not the best video, but they do cut one in half at the end of the video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY5Kryq62SQ

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,306
    Options
    Interesting, I just bought one a half hour ago.