Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - The new Sous Vide

Options
Tjcoley
Tjcoley Posts: 3,551

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Time to sell the egg! 
    :dizzy: 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    This raises some interesting questions.  I previously assumed that vac sealing and a water bath was part of what made the low temps of sous vide safe.  If you can safely cook at 120 F or so in the open air, could you just use a low temp oven?  To me, a small oven with more room would be more useful.  This cinder device looks like it could only cook 2 or 3 steaks at a time. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    This raises some interesting questions.  I previously assumed that vac sealing and a water bath was part of what made the low temps of sous vide safe.  If you can safely cook at 120 F or so in the open air, could you just use a low temp oven?  To me, a small oven with more room would be more useful.  This cinder device looks like it could only cook 2 or 3 steaks at a time. 
    The device is probably able to maintain constant temperatures as opposed to a kitchen oven where the temperature varies wildly.

Options
    The safety aspect of sous vide is that it can hold temperatures above 130-ish for long periods of time without drying the food. The water bath not only helps holds the temperature steady, but also transfers heat to the food more rapidly. If there is any contamination, the food temp will rise above the temperature (around 110) where pathogens grow most rapidly.

In ordinary cooking environments, like an oven, if the temperature could hold a steady 130F, by the time the pathogens had been destroyed, 5 - 6 hours, the food would most likely be very dry from evaporation.
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    Right...they get around the drying out aspect by saying this will hold your food at temp X for 2 hours.....    The expectation is that you sear it and eat it because longer than that time frame ruins the food.   At 450 i'd consider it.....but I'm not putting my money down on a unproven product that might not ship ever
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight