Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

anybody near Columbia, MO wanting an XL BGE?

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
A fellow egger who doesn't post here told me that in Columbia, MO his SAMS Club is selling BGE XL's  with sides AND nest for a mere $1,200. I have no clue if the warranty would be good - that's your call.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    When did Sam's Club become a BGE dealer?

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    The ones down here have the vision kamado's. Never seen a bge. 

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    Options
    Hawg Fan said:
    When did Sam's Club become a BGE dealer?
    They haven't that I know of! Like in the past every time when this happens (and it sure isn't the first time) then when BGE corporate gets pressed for an answer the line has been that some rouge dealer must have violated his agreement and sold his eggs to SAMS on the sly and the warranty won't mean jack squat. Buyer beware!
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Sam's isn't a BGE dealer, but just like half the stuff in their (or costco's) apparel or jewelry dept, it's gray market.  They are getting it from some BGE distributor and selling probably at their cost in order to attract their members.  

Costco has been sued several times over this......Calvin Klein or Levis went after them, as did Tiffanys.  Costco won as they bought it fair and square.

As far as the warranty goes, the BGE dealer one will not be honored, but Sam's will warranty it for life.  Just know you're probably going to get a refund rather than a firebox though.

I saw large BGEs in a few Sam's stores around St. Louis a few years ago.  3-4 per store, didn't last long.  Large with a nest and daisy wheel, no mates, $799.
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Sam's isn't a BGE dealer, but just like half the stuff in their (or costco's) apparel or jewelry dept, it's gray market.  They are getting it from some BGE distributor and selling probably at their cost in order to attract their members.  

Costco has been sued several times over this......Calvin Klein or Levis went after them, as did Tiffanys.  Costco won as they bought it fair and square.

As far as the warranty goes, the BGE dealer one will not be honored, but Sam's will warranty it for life.  Just know you're probably going to get a refund rather than a firebox though.

I saw large BGEs in a few Sam's stores around St. Louis a few years ago.  3-4 per store, didn't last long.  Large with a nest and daisy wheel, no mates, $799.
    I was wondering how they had eggs if they weren't a dealer. Couldn't BGE corporate track them by serial number to find out who dumped them? I guess maybe it wouldn't matter what the distributor did with them.

I would think that would be some sort of violation of the distributor agreement though. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    This happens every year.  If BGE really cared they'd put a stop to it.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    The way I'm reading this, it is the a great thing for corporate bge.  Increased sales and no warranty claims.  Seems like a bit of a scam though for the consumer though, unless it is stated "No Warranty"
    Phoenix 
  • stlcharcoal
    Options
    blasting said:
    The way I'm reading this, it is the a great thing for corporate bge.  Increased sales and no warranty claims.  Seems like a bit of a scam though for the consumer though, unless it is stated "No Warranty"

Not really......it diminishes the value of the brand when you have stores out there selling them for WAY below the minimum advertised price and outside of the boundaries of a dealership network.

I don't know about BGE, but some companies will come in and buy their product back from unauthorized dealers in order to protect their dealers.

One of the products that I used to sell had a pretty strict dealer agreement.  I got on a waiting list to purchase them and was prohibited from selling them on Amazon, eBay, etc.  They had a minimum advertised price as well.  Once I finally got 3 dozen of them in stock, it wasn't a month later and they were on Amazon for the same price I paid for them as a dealer (45% off MSRP, I believe).  I tried to return them, but the manufacturer wouldn't take them back.  So, I sold them at cost to get rid of them......and that took almost a year.

I'm all for free enterprise and capitalism, but if I'm bound to a dealer agreement, everyone else has to be.  We have one for Rockwood--it's probably the shortest one ever written--but if a dealer breaks it, no more charcoal.

• johnkitchens
    Options
    blasting said:
    I would be pissed if I bought one from Sam's and found out the hard way that I didn't have the full warranty.

• stlcharcoal
    Options
    blasting said:
    I would be pissed if I bought one from Sam's and found out the hard way that I didn't have the full warranty.

It does have a full warranty......from Sams, not from the manufacturer.  It breaks, you get 100% of your money back including the tax.  That's above and beyond what you get from the manufacturer.  The bummer is if you want to keep the product and just wanted a replacement part--even then, they may cut you a check so you can buy the part from the manufacturer. 
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    The Costco's around Dallas had large BGE's a couple summer's ago.  Similar thing - Costco warrantied them but BGE will not. 

That $1200 doesn't seem like a very good deal.  For that price I'd go to the dealer. 
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I would have liked to have paid that for my XL, but I like my dealer and they treat me right.  That to me is an advantage.  I live 2 hours from Columbia, but I don't need another XL.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    Options
    Sam's is an authorized Vision dealer if that is of interest.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    I wonder how upset the year round BGE dealers in the area get about this.  
  • RRP
    Options
    I'm vaguely familiar with Columbia and the sole BGE dealer there is a snobby pool business. I have heard from several people that unless you have money in your hand when you walk in the door to buy a BGE that they won't waste time with any "lookie-lou" folks. One guy told me when he told them he just wanted  to see it in person then the salesperson just turned and walked away! 
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    RRP said:
    I'm vaguely familiar with Columbia and the sole BGE dealer there is a snobby pool business. I have heard from several people that unless you have money in your hand when you walk in the door to buy a BGE that they won't waste time with any "lookie-lou" folks. One guy told me when he told them he just wanted  to see it in person then the salesperson just turned and walked away! 
    Those kinds of places should not be dealers. Most of us looked at the Eggs more than once before we made the purchase. My philosophy is that they don't have time for me before my purchase they certainly won't have time for me after. 

Some people don't have the temperament to deal with the public. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options

Some people don't have the temperament to deal with the public. 
    I could not agree more!  Sometimes I swear people own their own business because nobody else would put up with their BS.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS