Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good smoke/Bad Smoke

Options
johnnyp
johnnyp Posts: 3,932
disclaimer: new to BGE.

i hear people talking about good smoke and bad smoke.  How do I know the difference?
XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    One indicator is the color.  When you first light the egg there will be heavy white smoke, but after it stabilizes the smoke will be more clear.  Some say "blue" but to be honest I don't really see the blue in smoke. 

Another great indicator is to trust your nose.  Hold your hand over the top of the daisy wheel, then smell your hand.  If it smells pleasant like a BBQ restaurant then you are good to go.  If it smells like a camp fire then give it some more time.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ^^^ +1. 

Welcome to the funhouse! 

All lump is not created equal either. Some brands are more smokey than others and will be more of an issue. Check out the nakedwhiz website for his thorough lump reviews and find the best brand for you. 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    ^^^ +1. 

Welcome to the funhouse! 

All lump is not created equal either. Some brands are more smokey than others and will be more of an issue. Check out the nakedwhiz website for his thorough lump reviews and find the best brand for you. 
    I read on another post that BGE brand lump is made by Royal Oaks, but RO branded lump can be found at Walmart for half the price. That's what I've been using and with the exception of one cook, have been happy.

Whats the general consensus on RO?
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    All this time I thought that cigars were good smokes and cigarettes were bad smokes. Go figure???
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    ^^^ +1. 

Welcome to the funhouse! 

I read on another post that BGE brand lump is made by Royal Oaks, but RO branded lump can be found at Walmart for half the price. That's what I've been using and with the exception of one cook, have been happy.

Most say RO has a strong flavor to it. Depending on what you cook it may overpower and you can find a more neutral lump. I use RO some and it is fine for me. Check out Naked Whiz Charcoal database and get a review on lump. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • g37
    g37 Posts: 450
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Just started using  RO it's pretty good. I haven't  noticed any smokey flavor in my food. Like doubleegger said some lumps r smokey. I used lazzari and the white smoke never cleared.
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Bad smoke smell= bad smoke taste
    <BR> 
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited March 2015
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    ^^^ +1. 

Welcome to the funhouse! 

Just because RO makes BGE, it doesn't necessarily mean it's the same level of quality. A basic C class Mercedes isn't the same as a S series even though they're both made by the same company. General opinion is RO is mediocre at best and Rockwood and Ozark Oak is the good stuff. In between lies Weekend Warrior, BGE, etc
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Bad smoke makes your eyes water. It is usually tan, white or gray. When it is right, you want to climb into it. It will smell good even with no food. The smoke will usually be blue-ish. If you don't see smoke, you can still taste it. Waiting for it is always a good move. Cheers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    Options
    I get perfectly fine wispy blue smoke, neutral flavour out of RO.  Don't agree with all the negative comments on it.  
    Winnipeg, Canada
  • Blassiter
    Blassiter Posts: 195
    Options
    One thing I read on the nakedwiz reviews of charcoal is Royal Oaks makes 3 types of lump and all are in the same red bag. Only way to tell difference is read where the wood is from. Nakedwiz rated the Royal Oak made from American hardwood very well and the others were just average. I have not had a chance to see which one WalMart sells.

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• FlashkaBob
    FlashkaBob Posts: 373
    Options
    If you wanna screw with these guys, your next question should be "How does the smoke know when it's time to change color and and taste better?"

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.