Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket cook times

Options
We're having some guest over on Sunday and they want brisket...I normally cook a whole but my butcher only had a flat and and point (separate).  The point is 6lbs and the flat is 5lbs...how long should I cook these?  I was thinking around 8 hours.

Comments

• DeltaNu1142
    DeltaNu1142 Posts: 266
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You should plan for more. Have a look at this temp chart from my CyberQ. This is a 6.31-lb brisket.

...at around the 4:00 mark, I foiled the brisket and turned up the dome temp just to get it done. If I were you, I'd give myself 10 hours or more to be sure.
    LBGE | CyberQ | Adjustable Rig | SmokeWare Cap | Kick Ash Basket | Table Build | Tampa, FL
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Allow a 2 hour rest. If you foil earlier at 150 -160, you will be done in 6-8 hours. Every piece of meat is different. When I have a group other than my family coming over I foil to get things done and better be able to predict times. If you are done way early, it's no problem, FTC. 
  • jimithing
    Options
    Allow a 2 hour rest. If you foil earlier at 150 -160, you will be done in 6-8 hours. Every piece of meat is different. When I have a group other than my family coming over I foil to get things done and better be able to predict times. If you are done way early, it's no problem, FTC. 
    Yup, best to let it finish plenty early and then hold it in a cooler wrapped in butcher paper if you can.  Or foil if you have no paper.  If you use foil you just won't have as nice of a bark.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    1.5 hours per pound plus FTC time
  • andres1987
    Options
    i cooked a 15.5 lb brisket in 8 hours at 250. it was a prime so i don't know if maybe that's what caused it to cook so quickly. FTC in a cooler for about 7 hours and it was still hot when i cut it. it was awesome
    Austin, Texas