Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spares were fair

Options
After reading @Jeepster47 post about ribs, I realized I had not cooked spare ribs on the egg yet, they were at the store for a little cheaper than babybacks, so I got a rack.
Cooked them raised indirect at 300-350 with Dizzy Pig Redeye Express, and some cayenne added.
They came out okay, nice and tender using toothpick probe test, and Thermapenned at 203F.
I think I still prefer babybacks.

Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    How long you cook them? The finished pic doesn't quite look done but maybe it is the booze  B)
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    @chubbs Around an hour and a half, the flash was a little close in that picture, and then there's the booze factor too. 

• anton
    Options
    Okay I don't quite know what I did there^^^
  • Chubbs
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Spares take longer than BBs. I do my spares 6 hours at 250. 5 with rub only and 1 with sauce 
  • Chubbs
    edited February 2015
    Options
    This was about 45 minutes before I pulled my last ones
  • anton
    Options
    Thanks @Chubbs ! Those look good.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Well...you're no rube.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Yep, not on the bottom, but certainly down the Rube Rib scale a little bit ...

What didn't you like about them?  Was the fat fully rendered?  What do you like about baby backs that are missing on the spares?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• anton
    Options
     Possibly slightly rube-ish @Jeepster47, don't get me wrong, they were okay, but I found them to be slightly less tender, and a little less meaty than my usual favorite, bb's. The fat did render, and they were fully done, I pulled the first half off, and started to eat them, found them a little tough, so went back on, and left the other half on for the full hour and a half, they were the best half. I'll try them again, maybe I didn't get the best ones this go.
  • henapple
    Options
    Where they St Louis style or spares?
  • anton
    Options
    @henapple , I do believe the package said St.L style. Doesn't that mean trimmed more?
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    look good from here
  • henapple
    Options
    Yes...on St Louis I try to make sure to get an uniform slab. ..same size across the rack. Try egging till tender and almost done..wrap for 30 then finish direct with sauce. Try Head Country. ..if you can't find it pm me your address and I'll send you some. 
  • anton
    Options
    @henapple ,thanks dude.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sorry you didn't like the spares. After 12 years of thinking that BGE snobs should ONLY fix and serve Baby Backs I went back to spares and I have never gone back to BB. To each his own, but it's spare for me trimmed St L style which I prefer to do myself. One last thought...every hog is different and maybe your spare ribs today came from an old granddad who was smart and the last one up the ramp before >>>WHAM>>> never mind you get the drift...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I'm still hung up on "slightly less tender, and a little less meaty".  You must have a butcher who leaves the loin attached to your baby backs.  Since baby backs are much cheaper per pound than loins, that usually doesn't happen ... you better hug your butcher.

Wish your experience would have been better ... especially since my post prodded you to try them.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @henapple isn't lying about Head Country. That's some good rub. Surprised you had spares that weren't meaty. I've had the opposite experience. BB had way less meat than the spares, even St Louis style. Hope the next ones are more to your liking. 
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • anton
    Options
    @Jeepster47 no harm, no foul, now that you mention it, the babyback package says, "extra meaty", I usually get these. Am now going to keep an eye out for meaty spares. =);)
  • henapple
    Options
    Fwiw..out of necessity I grabbed some Tysons St Louis style at Walmart. ...best I've had. Twice as thick as some I've egged.
  • bweaver
    bweaver Posts: 112
    Options
    WalMart just had spares stl style marked down to 8 bucks a rack. They always seem on the meaty side.