Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Picture Post - We call it Wolf Meat

SwampBadger
SwampBadger Posts: 38
edited February 2015 in EggHead Forum
Becuase everyone usually "wolfs" it down at the deer camp. But we're not at camp, and out of venison, so it's sirloin instead. Kind of like a chicken bomb, but we were doing this long before I ever knew what a chicken bomb was. Start with cubed Meat:

Add a pat of cream cheese, a jalapeno slice, and wrap in bacon:

New Glarus Road Slush while you work:

On the grill at 400 raised direct with something remotely healthy (so THAT's why you need an adjustable rig. The real-estate gets tight with both meat and vegetables), and a little hickory smoke:

A little over done, but hard to estimate with the first wolf meat I've done on an Egg:

Plated with the obligatory fork (will someone explain to this noob why the fork is mandatory?), and an O'so "Night Train" Oatmeal Porter to cut the bacon fat:

First pic post, hope it worked. Watching "A Good Year" with my beautiful wife for a pre-Valentine's evening. Bon Appetit!

In dog beers, I've only had one.

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    That looks yummy! I would eat that!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    what are you using as a skewer
  • Just use cheap, thinly sliced bacon. It's super stretchy and sticky, and no skewer is needed. The expensive, thick sliced stuff is hard to wrap and manage, and lets the cheese leak out everywhere, and needs toothpicks. (I like really good bacon, and learned the hard way.) No skewers necessary. Prep and place on the grill with the end of the bacon down, the gravity holds it in place. By the time the balls are ready to turn, the bacon is set.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Man those look good!  Very creative.  I would love to try those with venison but the sirloin looks great as well.  

It seems like it might be hard to get the bacon crispy without getting the meat fairly well done.  Looking at the pics though I don't think I would mind the meat being a little on the medium + side.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SwampBadger
    edited February 2015
    The bacon doesn't get crispy. It probably would if it were a lot lower to the coals, or a lot higher temp, or both. Kind of a "reverse sear" action might do it. My son won't eat anything less than burnt bacon, and he refuses to eat these. His steak is in the middle, which i omitted earlier.

• Great job and post. Might give that a try with my road kill back straps
  • I like stuffing those little back straps with crawfish-crabmeat-celery-onion-pepper-breadcrumb stuffing, then sliced on the bias and smothered in a marchand du vin. Wicked good.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Those look great. I have a feeling I'll be cubing up all kinds of meat and wrapping in bacon with cheese and jalapeno now...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Genius! Plate me up Holmes that's just good eats right there. Nice work and pics.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Now let's talk about that brew. Local? Where can we get it to try it out? Tastes like?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SwampBadger
    edited February 2015
    Unfortunately, New Glarus (the Road Slush Oatmeal Stout) does not sell outside of Wisconsin. I think O'so might, but certainly not that far down south. I spent close to 30 years in Central and West Florida, and not much there comes close to the brew here in Wisconsin. I've had a decent micro from Cigar City, but the local brews here are amazing.

Taste: Both New Glarus and O'so are rich, dark, smooth oatmeals. O'so has a little bit more hop, and a little more dimension, while New Glarus has a little more of a coffee note. I used to homebrew, but gave up once I moved to Wisconsin. I can buy better stuff in the local Village market than I could ever make.

• NPHuskerFL
    @SwampBadger there are a few breweries here locally that have some phenomenal product. I service one of said breweries. That being said I enjoy beer and appreciate the craft that these folks have that make it. It's definitely an art. Some of my favorites were in Germany and Gibraltar.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • there are a few breweries here locally that have some phenomenal product. I service one of said breweries.

LOVE it!