Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carne Asada and Shrimp Tacos - Come on Summer Time

Options

It stayed in the 50's this weekend in Franklin TN and it had me thinking about the spring and summertime.  Decided to try my hand at Carne Asada and Shrimp tacos.  It wasn't the best selection of fruits and vegetables at the store, but I was not going to let it slow me down.  I was pleased with how the tacos turned out and look forward to making them again when the warmer temps are here to stay.

The Carne Asada Marinade was taken from a Tyler Florence recipe. 

Marinade

4 Garlic Cloves

1 Jalapeno Minced

1 Large Handful Cilantro Finely Chopped

Salt/Pepper

2 Limes Juiced

1 Orange Juiced

2 Table Spoons White Vinegar

1/2 Cup Olive Oil

Tyler was a little fancy for me requesting to use a mortar and pestle to make a paste of jalapenos and garlic, so I decided to go with a mini processor instead.  Then shake all ingredients in a jar to mix well.

I used a plastic storage bag to marinate the flank steak in the Carne Asada Marinade, or as Tyler Florence calls it, Mojo.

Needed the crunch for the tacos and combined a few recipes out there to make a Mexican Coleslaw.  Purchased a bag of finely shredded green cabbage and proceeded to make the sauce.

Mexican Coleslaw

1/2 Cup Sour Cream

1/2 Cup Mayo

1 Lime Juiced

1 Jalapeno

1 tsp Minced Capers

1/2 tsp Oregano (Dried)

1/2 tsp Ground Cumin

1/2 tsp Dill Weed (Dried)

1/2 tsp Cayenne

1/2 tsp Salt

Toss with fine shredded cabbage.

Allowed the flank steak to marinade and the coleslaw to set up for about five hours.  Went with some de-veined and peeled Argentinian shrimp with a little garlic salt and pepper.  Stabilized the egg at around 400 to 425 and everything was ready to go on.

I always have a little difficulty hitting the right temperatures when cooking flank steak.  It seems to be over done or on the rare side even for my taste.  Need to keep working on the timing and temperature, but the flank steak came out a little on the rare side, but it was an acceptable temperature for the family.  Shrimp cooked extremely quickly at only about two minutes a side.  While the meat rested, I warmed the corn tortillas and green onions on the grill for added smoky flavor to the meal.

The slaw had a great kick to it and the flank steak took on a tangy citrus flavor from the marinade.  Quick tip from SWMBO, for the cole slaw, capers are optional, but dill weed is a must.  Let me know your thoughts and I am always open to tips on improving the final product.  I hope the ground hog was wrong with the six more weeks of winter.

Final Plate...

Franklin, TN Medium and large Green Egg

Comments