Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Gasket and Dome Adjustment

Options
Finally installed a new Rutland gasket (thanks Ron).  Removing the old gasket remains was messy but the actual installation went very smooth. Now I need to deal with the top dome not setting properly on the gasket.  The top is too loose from about 3-7 o'clock. You can also see the top sets too far back. Can anyone point me to instructions on making the adjustments. Please note that this is the old style hinge system.
Southeast Florida - LBGE
In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I wrote this for curing over and underbite, but the principle will work for side bites and alignment issues as well...even with your real old style scissor hinge.

Loosen all the nuts in the hinge and the two bent bolts in the band - so the bands are free to move easily. Now line up the edges to your satisfaction. Now here is a tricky part....maybe a child or wife can help you...place a 2 x 4 on the dome opening and exert strong constant pressure on it pressing the dome firmly against the base. I did this myself using two 4 foot long wood working clamps. Or another method is have your son sit on a board on the dome! While you re-tighten  first the band bolts and then all the hinge bolts. Replace springs. That should resolve your issue....however...

Are you familiar with the popular dollar bill test? Close your dome on a dollar bill and see if it is relatively difficult to pull out. Do this all the way around your dome. If you find a space of little resistance it actually will be a sizable space and will either be at the front or the back. If loose in the front then open the dome and based on how big you think the gap is in terms of the thickness of a 25 cent piece then place 1, 2 or 3 quarters stacked on the edge of your base. Now close your dome and carefully loosen the top band bolt, press down to reset the positioning and tighten. Remove quarters and your plane should be ok. I have only known one person needing 3 quarters 2 is most common.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Ron, I did a modified dollar bill test - used your gasket instruction sheet folded in 3rds. I can easily slide a quarter between the domes in the front. With 2 quarters, it is tighter but I can still move them. I am thinking it will need two placed in the back when making the adjustments.  Looks like time to loosen the bands. The bolts have not been touched since the egg was new. Bolts look pretty clean considering how old they are. I always hesitate to mess with the bands. Don't want to make things worse. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• RRP
    Options

Ron, I did a modified dollar bill test - used your gasket instruction sheet folded in 3rds. I can easily slide a quarter between the domes in the front. With 2 quarters, it is tighter but I can still move them. I am thinking it will need two placed in the back when making the adjustments.  Looks like time to loosen the bands. The bolts have not been touched since the egg was new. Bolts look pretty clean considering how old they are. I always hesitate to mess with the bands. Don't want to make things worse. 

Sorry, but if you want to fix the problem then you are going to have to loosen the bolts or otherwise you can't re-set the dome in the bands which obviously you need to do.
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    I have been playing with making adjustments. Upon further review, I now realize that the top is slightly smaller than the base. Never noticed this before. Most likely because I never looked real close and the old gaskets were lining up well and hiding that the ceramic top was not. The fit between the top and the gasket is better than is was, but was still not fitting tight in the front (5-6 o'clock) and also a little loose in the back (11-12 o'clock).  More adjustments to come. Still trying to understand how making the band adjustment will impact the fit. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• RRP
    Options
    As is shown in the picture you posted at 8:54 this morning your dome is standing proud in the band and has ample roommate be moved down against the base once you have loosened the bolt. Not sure how else to explain it.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Many here have the underbite. I think most of us just live with it.
    Seattle, WA
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I cure my extreme underbite following Rons above post except, instead of balancing my wife, I used a ratcheting strap thru the top and the bottom vents. Note: I removed all the guts first. Also, made sure to torque to specs. So far, so good.
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    Any idea what the torque specs are? I have seen some numbers posted here, but I have an older system. The bolts are completely different than what they are using today and the bands are also different.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• RRP
    Options
    With those old bands there was never any torque suggestions! BGE just said to keep tightening the bolts until they bent. It wasn't rocket science! Maybe, just maybe you ought to dig in your pocket and just buy a new spring assisted band.
  • coltswin
    Options
    The torque setting for today's egg may be too much for the older style bolts/bands. I'd call Duane at BGE customer service and get his advice. (770) 938-9394. Good luck!
  • jtcBoynton
    Options
    Ron, I have thought about getting the spring assisted bands. Sure would make opening the egg easier. Might just stop by my local dealer soon to check them out.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE

• RRP
    Options

Ron, I have thought about getting the spring assisted bands. Sure would make opening the egg easier. Might just stop by my local dealer soon to check them out.

good idea! I retrofitted my older model large and small with the spring hinges and have never regretted it!