Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First stab at STL Ribs on BGE - 3-2-1 Method Question

Options
Eggerty
Eggerty Posts: 220
edited February 2015 in EggHead Forum
Took for first run on my LBGE with STL ribs Memphis Style.  Turned out pretty good for the first run.  I was getting guidance from a buddy.
Prep: A little trimming and pulling off the membrane.  Light EVOO, liberal application of Bad Byron's Butt Rub with additions of brown sugar and cheyenne.

EGG setup: It was only one rack for SWMBO and me but did use the AR B&R combo (oval stone and oval grid).  Wicked Good WW blend with 4 chunks of pecan (a friends favorite with ribs).  Set up the egg in the 225 - 250 range and the BGE kept pretty steady around 235deg.  

Cooked the ribs using the 3-2-1 method.  3 hours directly on grid. 2hrs foiled adding 1Tbs of butter and .5 cup of apple juice. Then 1hr non foiled back on grid.  

Result was good for the first stab of ribs on the LBGE.  Great flavor and very juicy.  I would say that they would have not passed the bend test from my very limited knowledge though. With STL ribs, there is more meet and I could see where that would limit the bending.  Thoughts?  

One question for anyone that has knowledge on cooking at a higher elevation.  Does that affect the cooking time?  Longer/shorter?  I cooked roughly at 6.5hrs.  Is it possible to need to extend the cook time?  If so would you extend the initial unwrapped time vs latter (foil/finish time)?

Thanks all! Always very appreciative for the lending of knowledge.
LBGE - Nov/'14
A Texan residing in Denver, CO.

Comments

• Eggerty
    Options
    and photobucket didn't work
    LBGE - Nov/'14
  • Eggerty
    edited February 2015
    Options

LBGE - Nov/'14
  • tisoypops
    Options
    I don't use foil. So not sure about that. I just go by the bend test. @Jeepster47 recently said something on another thread about a temp you could go for between ribs if you don't want to use the bend test. Ribs look good though sir
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • Eggerty
    Options
    Thanks @tisoypops. I think I will forego the foil next time. Appreciate it.
    LBGE - Nov/'14
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I'd eat em! Looks good. Nice post.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    tisoypops said:

I don't use foil. So not sure about that. I just go by the bend test. @Jeepster47 recently said something on another thread about a temp you could go for between ribs if you don't want to use the bend test. Ribs look good though sir

Not me on temp between the ribs ... I don't think there's enough meat for a reliable temp reading.  But, probing with a toothpick between the ribs will tell the story ... you're looking for the famous buttuh feel.  I suspect that if you've done enough ribs, you can fine tune your texture-to-resistance sensitivity.  The bend test is also a good indicator for a full rack.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options

tisoypops said:

Not me on temp between the ribs ... I don't think there's enough meat for a reliable temp reading.  But, probing with a toothpick between the ribs will tell the story ... you're looking for the famous buttuh feel.  I suspect that if you've done enough ribs, you can fine tune your texture-to-resistance sensitivity.  The bend test is also a good indicator for a full rack.

the meat temp reading between the bones was my recent post. Assuming you have a Thermapen then probe several spots between the bones and if they are done you'll get readings from 196 to 203.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @tisoypops you were close. Wrong retired dude from Illinois! =))
  • Jeepster47
    Options

@tisoypops you were close. Wrong retired dude from Illinois! =))

Not even close ... @RRP lives on the other side of the river.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Y'all are all the same to us! =))
  • Jeepster47
    edited February 2015
    Options
    What, Yankee?

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Yep. But on second thought, there's damn Yankees. So there are some differences. ;)
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Of course I kid. You guys are some of my very favorites to quote another southerner.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Yes, but the "my very favorite" phrase is usually referring to something that has been cooked. 

• Eggerty
    Options
    Thanks @RRP and @Jeepster47 for the info. I definitely want to learn the feel of the ribs. I will keep on practicing!
    LBGE - Nov/'14
  • RRP
    Options

Yes, but the "my very favorite" phrase is usually referring to something that has been cooked. 

Tom, I'm cool with that phrase as it not the first time someone has said I have half baked ideas so I took that in stride! LOL
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @RRP ... damn I miss those "like" flags!  Thanks for the laugh.

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @Eggerty ... sorry, we got off track there for awhile.  Can't comment on how much elevation changes egg cooking times ... never thought about it.

Thanks for taking the time to describe your cook ... it helps the next new guy/gal and might give an idea to the old gay/gal. 

I love to do side-by-side comparisons.  The last St Louis rack was cut in half ... one straight through and one 3-2-1 ... the wife picked 3-2-1 (darn).  The time before was one half one rub and one half another rub ... again, the wife picked the winner.  The neat thing is that before the egg, she might eat one rib just to humor me ... she's now asking for the third rib 'cuz she's getting exactly what she likes.

• RRP
    Options
    Eggerty said:

Thanks @RRP and @Jeepster47 for the info. I definitely want to learn the feel of the ribs. I will keep on practicing!

I should have added that I never cook a rack left whole - I always cut mine in half which means I have never learned the bend test method. I only know and practice the temperature between the bones method for two reasons:

1) I own a crutch called Thermopen and

2) I learned this 196 to 203 test from the egging giants from the past.

• tisoypops
    Options
    Damn! My bad guys. Couldn't rememeber which thread I saw it on. I need to get to an egg fest so I can put some names with faces and know who everyone is.
    LBGE | Conroe, TX