Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how to jazz up pulled pork

Options
im egging 2-5lb butts tomorrow for the game. I got some fresh buns and slaw for the sandwiches. Anyone ever experiment with adding say some jalapenos to the pull?(I have a half/dozen on hand) or anything else that might add that extra kick to put it over the top? or even a unique topping idea?

Comments

• EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    I always add some sliced jalapenos to my sandwich's.  Not fresh, I guess they are pickled that come in a jar.  I cant eat them without them.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• Boileregger
    Options
    I like pickled red onions with a mustard vinegar sauce. The vinegar goes great with the pork.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    You already mentioned you are making slaw...that is my favorite pulled pork topping.  Maybe add jalapenos to the slaw.  

One of these days I am making this.  However I think like that is a leftover pulled pork sammie.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    I am with @SmokeyPitt. Use the slaw on top and dress up the slaw.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    A traditionalist here. Rub is salt and pepper or an elder Ward type blend. Smoke is oak, hickory or both. No injection, no baste. Kfc style slaw and eastern nc vinegar sauce. Period. Definitely no jalapeños or pickled... anything!

Plenty dressy for me.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    I like a nice nc vinegar sauce and lexington slaw.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Red wine vinegar slaw....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    +2 on adding jalapeños to the slaw and topping the Sammie's with it.
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    I prefer to add some of the rub when pulling to give some added flavor without drowning it in sauce. Good BBQ SHOULD be served on the cheapest white bread you can get.....

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    I decided to bread/fry the peppers for a topping and i made a mustard bbq sauce that i never tried before..smells good hopefully it tastes the same
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I always make spicy coleslaw.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'd add the jalapeños to the slaw. I had a spicy reuben from a food truck where they added the chopped peppers to the sauerkraut. It was fantastic. If you like mustard, you'll love the sauce. It's my favorite next to Eastern mop.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Next time try Fat Johnnies Bastardized Piedmont Sauce - plenty of heat and flavor. Google will find you the recipe.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT.