Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wagyu Brisket

Options
Hello, this is my first post on the forum, but have been a BGE user for over a year. Currently have an XL.

I was treated to a SRF 19.5 pound Gold Wagyu brisket - as a gift! (My company does a lot of business with a guy who treated me to it) Nice Guy!!

I have cooked about 4 briskets so far on the XL over the last year, all of them pretty good I think, but not spectacular.

I am planning on doing this Wagyu for Super Bowl Sunday and want to eat about half time. I am looking for some suggestions or hints - cook time? Temp? L&S? Turbo? etc....

Don't want to screw this up to much!

Thanks for your advice!

Bay Area, CA     XLBGE

Comments

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    First Welcome, you should get some good advice for others here that have done SRF briskets.  I'm pretty new.  What a gift.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I cooked mine low and slow.  It is a bit more forgiving than a regular brisket due to the higher fat content (which also means it will cook quicker than normal brisket).  16lbs @ 250 was ready in 13 hours (IT 197).  

You are in for a treat!!  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Nice gift. Post pics of the cook. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Welcome to ge forum. Nice gift!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options

@SBakerPhoto-welcome to the forum and continue to enjoy the journey.  Now that's a gift-never have ventured into gold country-their black is great for me.  The above covers it-cook the same as any other you have cooked (L&S) but start checking for the "feels like buttah" in the thickest part of the flat sooner temp-wise than you are used to. I would start in the low 180's.  Each hunk has a mind of it's own so it could wait to "declare finished" up to the high 190's or more. 

And with a prepped cooler you can easily FTC for 6 hours-so aim to finish early rather than stressing to punch it home.  FWIW-   And enjoy the eats!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SBakerPhoto
    Options
    Thanks GATraveller - I was leaning heavily on L&S. Looks like it would about 15 hours...
    So maybe I should put it on about midnight Saturday - take it off about 3pm or 195-200 IT and FTC until half time? Would like to do burnt ends from the point while the flat FTC's

Sound like a plan??

Bay Area, CA     XLBGE
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I have done gold SRF brisket and it will cook faster then a normal packer brisket.

I first trim then inject. Next I put the rub on then let rest while I get the cooker ready.

When the cooker is ready I then put another layer of rub on then on the cooker at 250. At 160 IT i wrap in foil till I get to 195 then start checking for tenderness. Some are done at this point some go up to 207. I let rest at least 1 hour before slicing and serving.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    It's your brisket but I would slice and eat the point vice go down the brunt ends road.  Aaron Franklin has a great brisket you tube series including one on how to slice the point.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GATraveller
    Options
    I was planning on burnt ends but it is such a high quality meat that I couldn't bring myself to do it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • badinfluence
    Options
    Ain't no way I would do burnt ends on a 200.00+ brisket. Just me though.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    +1 on no burnt ends. Here is a gold that I did for Xmas

Details:

12.82 lbs before trim. Not much trimmed off at all.
    Salt and Pepper
    Oak
    225 pit temp
    14hrs 40 min to IT of 188
    FTC for 1 hour
    Sliced and devored!

You are going to be blown away by the taste of this brisket! Will be the best you ever had!
    Brandon, MS
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options

But, you'd inject it :-??
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

I have done gold SRF brisket and it will cook faster then a normal packer brisket.

I first trim then inject. Next I put the rub on then let rest while I get the cooker ready.

When the cooker is ready I then put another layer of rub on then on the cooker at 250. At 160 IT i wrap in foil till I get to 195 then start checking for tenderness. Some are done at this point some go up to 207. I let rest at least 1 hour before slicing and serving.

You competition cooker, you.   :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • MarvinS
    Options
    I am new to BGE, have a large.  Did my first meat a 4 lb sirloin tip.  I rubbed it with a mixture of thyme, cumin, salt, garlic, pepper, new mexico chili powder, and olive oil.  Cooked it for about 3 1/2 hours at 275  direct heat with some hickory chips.  Meat temp was 160 when I called it quits.  It was great.  

Anyway to the brisket.  I also have an Orion smoker/cooker.  I can cook a 6 lb brisket in 3 hours with some hickory chips. My 12 year old grand daughter (a level 9 85 lb gymnast) who is a carnivore and always has been says its the best meat she has ever had.  She can each as much as a grown man.  I soak the brisket in apple cider vinegar over night.  Then just before cooking I sprikle on a little salt and pepper. It still holds together enough that you can slice it but it is very tender.   So I am suggesting soaking the brisket over night in the vinegar and then roasting it at 275 until you think it is done, maybe to 170.
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Please!!! Not too a 200+ gold Waygu.
    Brandon, MS
  • badinfluence
    Options

But, you'd inject it :-??
    @NPHuskerFL why yes I inject it. Not fir moisture but the flavor it adds.

@cazzy I use this method bot for home and competition cooks all the same.

If it's not broke no need to fix it.

Clinton, Iowa
  • cazzy
    edited January 2015
    Options
    MarvinS said:

I am new to BGE, have a large.  Did my first meat a 4 lb sirloin tip.  I rubbed it with a mixture of thyme, cumin, salt, garlic, pepper, new mexico chili powder, and olive oil.  Cooked it for about 3 1/2 hours at 275  direct heat with some hickory chips.  Meat temp was 160 when I called it quits.  It was great.  

Anyway to the brisket.  I also have an Orion smoker/cooker.  I can cook a 6 lb brisket in 3 hours with some hickory chips. My 12 year old grand daughter (a level 9 85 lb gymnast) who is a carnivore and always has been says its the best meat she has ever had.  She can each as much as a grown man.  I soak the brisket in apple cider vinegar over night.  Then just before cooking I sprikle on a little salt and pepper. It still holds together enough that you can slice it but it is very tender.   So I am suggesting soaking the brisket over night in the vinegar and then roasting it at 275 until you think it is done, maybe to 170.
    Lmfao. You want him to soak a $200 Wagyu brisket in vinegar???? I have seen it all now. You're not from Texas...I know that much. Save your vinegar for that select dog food. I don't even agree with @badinfluence , much less a good ol' vinegar soak that your 85lb somersaulting granddaughter gave a perfect 10 to. =))

On yeah...Welcome to the board! >:)
  • badinfluence
    Options
    MarvinS said:

VERY BAD ADVICE. Brisket will not be done st 170 and with @cazzy ain't no way I would soak a SRF GOLD BRISKET in vinegar.

Clinton, Iowa
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @cazzy what part do you not "agree" about? Please do tell.

Clinton, Iowa
  • cazzy
    Options

@cazzy what part do you not "agree" about? Please do tell.

Mostly just because I don't think it needs the extra stuff to be unbelievable. I know injecting in this case is mostly for flavor, but a SRF is magical in a non comp setting when cooked right. I want the beef to come through. I also think hitting it with a crutch is unnecessary as sacrificing the bark isn't worth it. There is enough intermuscular fat in the flat and throughout to protect your flat and achieve tenderness. Lastly...I think starting temp checks at 195 is risky as these can be very happy in the 180's. I start feeling it in the 180's just in case. I think checking in that range shortens your window...not as much as a choice cut, but I just would hate to see one of these dudes overcooked. You're seasoned...so this works for you. I also am a big believer that some comp techniques aren't necessary for the egg or when you're not dealing with a judge looking for that perfect bite. This sucker is very rich to begin with, so you're kinda walking a fine line.
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Anyone who thinks you can improve on this piece of meat is over thinking things.  Season with 50/50 salt and fresh ground pepper and smoke L&S till complete.  Why would you muddle things up with anything else?????

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options

Anyone who thinks you can improve on this piece of meat is over thinking things.  Season with 50/50 salt and fresh ground pepper and smoke L&S till complete.  Why would you muddle things up with anything else?????

(LIKE)
    Seattle, WA
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited January 2015
    Options

Agree
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    The only thing this incredible piece of meat needs is a good cook/smoke, 250 dome tons of S & P and start checking at 180/185
    Make SURE you slice it right, you have a memory in the making.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • SBakerPhoto
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments! 
    Rub with - not decided yet...but really like blues hog rub
    I am going L&S, 250 grate, for probably 13 or so hours...or whatever it takes to get 180 IT.
    FTC for a couple of hours...
    Enjoy....!
    Bay Area, CA     XLBGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I say you....
    Soak that baby in Apple cider vinegar overnight and then bake it in your oven @400℉ with the cheapest bbq sauce you can find. :ar!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • shannonlcorum
    Options
    I did two smaller corned beef briskets (about 4 pounds each) for New Year's. I soaked it for several hours the day before, changing the water about every 30 minutes--approximately 5 times. Then I patted it dry and did a dry rub of various herbs--seasoned salt, pepper, garlic powder, some paprika, onion powder, a little chili powder--I don't like it real salty so I didn't add a lot of salty stuff. I didn't even use the packet that came with them. Then I wrapped it in foil and stuck it in the fridge.

The morning of, I got the egg up to about 300, then put my briskets on (fat side up) and backed the heat down to 250-ish. I did notice it was harder to keep the temp low on the egg compared to my previous smoker, which leaked smoke and heat terribly and wanted to run cooler. I threw a handful of Jack Daniels chips on the coals and let it smoke a couple of hours. Then I threw another handful on and smoked it a few hours more (4-5 hours total). My dad is a pretty experienced smoker and taught me that meat will usually only take about 4 hours of smoke and then you're just wasting wood.

After about 5 hours, I removed the briskets, used heavy duty foil to make a bowl shape around the brisket, then poured in some apple juice and folded the foil together on top to keep the liquid from leaking out. The apple juice helps combat some of the saltiness of the meat and makes it really tender. You could also use coke or another sweet drink in place of apple juice. I did this for both briskets separately, then placed them back on the egg for another 4 hours. When the brisket was 170 degrees, I removed them. Left them in the foil "pouch", wrapped each in a towel, and put them in a cooler until we were ready to eat about an hour and a half later. When I took them out of the cooler and unwrapped them, they were still hot and so tender they just crumbled under the knife. YUMMY! I've done regular brisket this way too. There's several ways to do brisket, but this always turns out great for me. When it comes to brisket, you always want to do low and slow. Brisket is really tough so it takes a long time to break down the meat and make it tender. I know they say about 1 1/2 hours per pound, but I usually cook mine about 9+  hours depending on how big it is.
    ShannyShooShoo 
    Owner of 1 Mini BGE and 1 Wood-fired Brick Oven.
    Mother of 4 boys, 1 obese feline, 1 mean-assed chow, 1 rowdy bulldog, and 6 completely spoiled sugar gliders
  • cazzy
    edited January 2015
    Options

Thanks for all the comments! 

Rub with - not decided yet...but really like blues hog rub
    I am going L&S, 250 grate, for probably 13 or so hours...or whatever it takes to get 180 IT.
    FTC for a couple of hours...
    Enjoy....!
    Don't look at it that way. While it could be, it likely won't be done at 180. Start checking for tenderness at 180. It could be 180, 190 or 200. Let it get happy and pull it when it is.

Also, regardless of what anyone tells you, you don't need to FTC. Some people plan for it and that is pretty ridiculous. For 19# raw weight, I'd let it sit on the counter for a hour or a lil less till its cool enough to handle and slice.

FTC is for when you're done well before serving time. Not needed if you pull it off an hour or two before cooking time. If you pull your brisket when its perfect and immediately wrap it in foil, you're really risking it overshooting your target temp.

Good luck!
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Totally agree @cazzy
    If I can avoid FTC and just time it right I'd prefer it. But, always better to be ready early vs trying to rush it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options

@cazzy - for what it's worth; I plan a FTC period for my pulled pork, etc.... but only 2 hours - and really, I only plan for it as 'buffer time' before dinner.  That way, if i'm running behind schedule (or the brisket is), I'm actually still good.

FTC itself isn't necessary I'd agree, but I wouldn't say it's ridiculous to plan ahead for some buffer time....

[Insert clever signature line here]