Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Redemption- Proscuitto and Caramelized Red Onion

Options
So the first time I cooked pizza on my BGEXL was a learning experience. Armed with that experience I set out to try again last night.

For what its worth, I think I am officially against Publix brand lump. I used some "Cowboy" lump last night and it worked much better. It was much larger and didn't have the odor that I noticed with Publix brand. I plan on graduating to Royal Oak Lump soon.

The wife found a recipe for Proscuitto and Caramelized Red Onion Pizza on the Pioneer Woman's blog so that is what we went with. It did not disappoint.

One of the things I learned from the last cook was to get the dough much thinner, and to go easy on the toppings to allow the crust the best chance to crisp up. We got whole wheat dough from Trader Joes and split it in half to make two 10-14" pizzas. Rolled them flat and topped lightly with olive oil. I followed with a healthy layer of mozzarella, the red onions we caramelized with brown sugar in the skillet, and the proscuitto. Finished it with a little bit of parmesan on top and it was ready.

Got the BGEXL up to around 600-650 indirect heat. Used my vegetable grill basket turned upside down to get my pizza stone as high off of the cooking grate as I could. First pizza was a tiny bit thicker so it went for about 12-15 minutes, second one was a bit thinner so I pulled it off after about 10 minutes. Somewhere in the 10-15 minute range seems to be the sweet spot for pizza that size and thickness. 

It came out amazing. The wife was really impressed and after having too thick of a pizza with too many toppings last time, I think we really nailed this one. Would have served it to anyone. Looking forward to firing up some more indirect heat this weekend for some ribs and/or chicken. 

Comments