Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why doesn't my homemade bacon crisp?

Options
So i've cold smoked and hot smoked a couple batches of bacon now - probably 25 lbs combined, and the flavor is awesome. Several people (non-relatives) have said it was the best bacon they've ever had. 

But it just doesn't crisp up like store bought bacon. It is denser and chewier. My first couple batches were hot smoked, but even the cold smoked I did last week came out the same. Delicious, but not shatteringly crispy.

@JRwhitee pointed this out to someone else in another post and I thought I'd ask around to figure out why, and if there's anything I can do to try and get it crispy.

I'm thinking its one of a couple things:

Thickness - I can't slice it as thin as most store bought. But even commercial thick cut cooks up crispier, so may be not a factor.

Fat content - the Pork belly I've been getting is actually lean as pork belly goes. Ruhlman says shoot for 50/50 but I bet this stuff I'm getting is more like 70/30. So there's not as much fat to render or leave behind to crisp up.

Water content - Home made isn't packed full of brine or other stuff, so there is less water to evaporate during cooking and more meat tissue left behind with less air meat.

I don't know, but I would love to combine the awesome homemade flavor with some explode in your mouth crunch.

Any suggestions?
1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I share your frustration. I find my thicker cuts more chewy than the thinner. Also, I hot smoked all of mine, but the last batch I pulled closer to 140 than 150 and it is better, still not store bought, but better. I'm watching this thread for the gurus.
  • TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I am not trying to be a smart-ass but the best crispy Bacon I've ever had was boiled first. In fact this is the only way we make Bacon in this house.

I think it allows you to cook the bacon longer without it being over cooked.

In a skillet, place the bacon and cover with about half an inch of water, cook on high until the water is evaporated.

Now finish cooking by normal method...

I know it sounds like I'm a drunk idiot...

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    I switched to cooking my homemade bacon in the oven at like 350-375, on a cookie sheet on top of a cooling rack. It takes about 20 mins or so I flip around 10 mins in. In my opinion the slower cook helps render it down and crisp it better.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    U_tarded said:

I switched to cooking my homemade bacon in the oven at like 350-375, on a cookie sheet on top of a cooling rack. It takes about 20 mins or so I flip around 10 mins in. In my opinion the slower cook helps render it down and crisp it better.

+1

Options

I am not trying to be a smart-ass but the best crispy Bacon I've ever had was boiled first. In fact this is the only way we make Bacon in this house.

I think it allows you to cook the bacon longer without it being over cooked.

In a skillet, place the bacon and cover with about half an inch of water, cook on high until the water is evaporated.

Now finish cooking by normal method...

I know it sounds like I'm a drunk idiot...

I believe @Spring Chicken does it that way.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I am not trying to be a smart-ass but the best crispy Bacon I've ever had was boiled first. In fact this is the only way we make Bacon in this house. I think it allows you to cook the bacon longer without it being over cooked. In a skillet, place the bacon and cover with about half an inch of water, cook on high until the water is evaporated. Now finish cooking by normal method... I know it sounds like I'm a drunk idiot...
    Never did it that way, but might try.  However, I have a question; doesn't the water, when the percentage of fat becomes greater than the percentage of water in the pan, cause serious amounts of splatter until all water is gone and only rendered fat remains? I am having a vision of a serious splatterfest when there is only a little water left.

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I am not trying to be a smart-ass but the best crispy Bacon I've ever had was boiled first. In fact this is the only way we make Bacon in this house. I think it allows you to cook the bacon longer without it being over cooked. In a skillet, place the bacon and cover with about half an inch of water, cook on high until the water is evaporated. Now finish cooking by normal method... I know it sounds like I'm a drunk idiot...
    @shayytoon, you aren't being a smartass! whatever works!

I have heard of this trick, but never tried it. I will on my next batch.

I often do commercial bacon in the oven, so I will give that a try too.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • TheShaytoon
    Options
    @sea2ski actually the splatter is reduced and although there is still the aroma of sweet sweet Bacon, it is not as strong.

And just to be clear, once the water has boiled away, keep cooking the bacon in the same pan. There will be Bacon fat that will sizzle the bacon to a crisp.

BTW, I think this is a American Test Kitchen technique. Had a professional private chef for dinner and he commented about the bacon, when I told him how we make Bacon.... His mind was blown.

Dallas, TX

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I have not smoked any pork belly for bacon yet, but want to. Now when i bought the bacon from meat counter that didn't have and water added to it crisped up fine for me, but I am not sure of the difference. Would it need to cure or dry more before curing? I bought this the other day to cook bacon on the egg so I don't get grease all over the inside of the kitchen and not smell it up so bad. I haven't tried it out yet. http://www.kcbbqsource.com/non-stick-bacon-griller-by-mr-bbq/
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @Sea2ski The water won't splatter because the rendered fat won't go above 212F until the water has evaporated. Splatter happen when water instantly boils in hot oil/fat, not the other way around(Water also inhibits the maillard reaction for the same reason.Browning occurs well above the boiling point of water which is why you're supposed to dry your meat before searing.). The fat renders off the bacon during this period so you are left with basically par-cooked bacon that requires little time to crisp up. Another advantage is that it shrinks less.

OP, I have done the water and oven method and highly recommend both. The best part about the oven method is when you are cooking for a group. It's difficult to cook more than 5 or 6 peices of bacon unless you have a large griddle.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Never did it that way, but might try.  However, I have a question; doesn't the water, when the percentage of fat becomes greater than the percentage of water in the pan, cause serious amounts of splatter until all water is gone and only rendered fat remains? I am having a vision of a serious splatterfest when there is only a little water left.

after doing this a few times you will notice there is far less grease in the pan than frying it the regular way, almost no splatter at all. i almost believe it evaporates with the steam
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have a meat slicer and sliced some pieces really thin but it is still not very crispy. I am thinking the fat content is the issue. I got mine at the asain market, how does one determine the fat content?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Both the water skillet and oven methods work.  Water and skillet for a few pieces.

Lately, I just cook up a lb at a time and prefer the results from the oven.  280 for an hour or so, longer render.  Flip halfway. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• TheShaytoon
    Options
    wow...I actually feel like I contributed to the forum.  Today is a good day!

Dallas, TX

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Well, I will certainly to try and boil the bacon first to get it crispy.

I know I am going to feel
    8-}
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Dang, you made the bacon on the egg and you're not cooking it on the egg. Crispy guarantee.

Steve 

Caledon, ON