Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first "real" cook - Beer can chicken

Options
Chicklet
Chicklet Posts: 205
I was finally able to put some real effort and real food on my Egg.  I have always loved making a Beer Butt Chicken on the grill so I figured I'd try it on the Egg.  I'm pleased with how it turned out.  
I actually haven't eaten the chicken for a real meal yet because I usually cook for several work meals but the few bites I tried were pretty good. 

All I did was use the BGE ceramic Beer Can Chicken stand and filled it with about half of a bottle of Yuengling.  I used some Emeril's Original Essence as a dry rub.  I put the chicken on the stand and put that in a drip pan.  I took the remaining beer and poured it in a spray bottle with about equal parts balsamic.  Once I out the  chicken on the grill, I sprayed it once then let it ride.  I sprayed two other times but it took just shy of two hours to cook.  

Not a bad first attempt.  

Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Nice cook. Looks fantastic.

For something different with a little less effort, search spatchcock chicken. 1 hr roughly at 400 direct, no spritz, no nothing. Cook to temp, pull, enjoy. The egg holds so much moisture I thought my first few cooks were under cooked.
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    I am definitely going to spatchcock next time.  This chicken was almost "too juicy" if that makes any sense.  The inner-most meat was kinda mushy.  

I am thinking the spatch might be a good option for me..  

m
    Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Had one tonight. It's so easy and so good. The kids were scraping the cutting board for more meat. That's saying something at my house.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The first few times eating chicken off the egg was surreal. I've ate hundreds if not thousands of pieces of chicken and not realized what real moist chicken should taste like. Try going back to pre-egg regular chicken. It's like eating dried out leather.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I totally agree @WeberWho? You just can't beat chicken on the egg. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!