Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you turbo chuck roast?

Options
bettysnephew
bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
edited January 2015 in EggHead Forum
Picked up a nicely marbled 4.6 lb. chuck roast at the local Hy Vee today and plan on cooking tomorrow. I did a search for "turbo chuck roast" and nothing came up other than L&S or hot tub. Has anyone had success with turbo or should I just bend to convention and put it in the DO or cook L&S? With all of the success of turbo cooks I thought more would turn up.
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Sorry, just braised and low and slow from there. Sometimes cooked in a DO with broth and veggies.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    Yes, 350 until around 160it then foil with beg stock until you can pull it. Works every time

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm a big fan of 250ish till the Chuckie hit 160ish IT. Then wrap in HDAF with about a cup of prewarmed beef broth and Worcestershire sauce and crank the egg to 350 till 205-215 IT when it probes like buttah. I think you get a better smoke flavor with the initial low & slow part. Pulled beef is a cook of patience and can't be rushed in my opinion. Your 4 1/2lb chuckie should take 6-7 hrs to get done with this method.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Well, it's done. I ended up cooking it on the XL like a pork butt and it didn't finish until 11PM as there was a very  considerable stall at 160. Low and slow at 250° indirect.  I chose not to foil and it came out very tasty with a nice bark and mild smoke flavor. The wife blind sided me this morning and took the whole thing to work as she is getting a promotion and wanted to celebrate with her crew. Good thing I got a taste last night. She will pull it after reheating for sandwiches.
    BTW, Hellman's Mayo and Dizzy Dust as we don't have Duke's in this area of the country.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Sounds like success to me! Nice cook.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Low and Slowimage
    New Albany, Ohio