Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alaskan King Crab Legs on XL last nite WOW

Options

steamed them in the lower water pan first, then put them up top to dry them out for a few mins.

Unbelievable results. So good. 

Comments

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Tasty I bet...
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Looks great!

We have done Maryland Blue crabs right on the grill before.  They are excellent!   But you have to clean them first...you know, pull off the bottom plate and scrape out the guts.  The crabs are not very fond of this method, but I think if you gave them the choice between a slow death in the steamer and a quick death....
    LBGE/Maryland
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Those look fantastic!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options

they were mighty tasty.  the big green egg helped the moisture content inside the meat but the outer shells weren't soggy pliable plastic-like, they were brittle and easier to crack open.  We made about 20 lbs of king crab legs and ate outside Sunday nite with the kids and some family members to celebrate the end of winter break (kids back at school  yeahhh!)

I made the legs in the turkey roasting pans you get around thanksgiving.  perfect setup with CGS Rig, and two racks.  i kept rotating the frozen ones to the bottom for a steam bath and then putting the steamed ones up top to dry out for a few minutes.  Awesome food, awesome time, so much easier than when i used to do these on any other type of cooker (turkey fryer, gasser, weber, etc).  The BGE gives me a ton of confidence when i cook.  LOVE IT!

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Looks so good...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Very nice!!   and @KiterTodd Blue crabs on the grill? How do you season them (my personal favorite is J.O.)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Love crab on the egg! You nailed it!!! SS table. Do you have a full pic of it?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    What's not to love - crab and XL who could ask for more... Enjoy!!!
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    stv8r said:
    Very nice!!   and @KiterTodd Blue crabs on the grill? How do you season them (my personal favorite is J.O.)
    The time we did it, I think we just coated them heavily in Old Bay just like we did in the steamer, but I'm sure whatever you use is fine.  The flavor was excellent!  The meat and all was perfectly cooked, the crab seasoning came through, and you had a bit of the grill flavor mixed in there as well.  I'd definitely recommend it.  Cook until they are bright red.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Love crab on the egg! You nailed it!!! SS table. Do you have a full pic of it?
    the only pict I have of the entire table is the one attached.  I will get a 'meet the family' photo of all the BGE's I have and get that as my new snapshot with my name on this forum.