Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Volcano ribs, 2 ways

Options

STL cut ribs were on sale at HEB for $1.97/lb. That's a good deal in these parts, so 2 racks jumped into my cart and came home with me. Then came New Year's Eve, and I was introduced to these at a party, courtesy of the host's neighbors:image

Time to do some damage. I dusted 1.5 racks with Oakridge BBQ Competition Pork & Beef rub, a sprinkling of the chocolate pot chile powder, and let em go raised direct, pecan for smoke, modified turbo (that means the temp bounced around because I was busy doing other stuff). Set up the remaining half rack SV at 155°F.

Pulled the BGE ribs about 2 hours later when they looked right, and rested them in foil.

Pulled the SV ribs out and seared them with my weedburner ala @nolaegghead. The pic looks weird, but this is likely going to be my searing method from now on. Works way better than a dinky little torch.

Saved the jus from the SV bag and made a dipping sauce with butter, garlic, and the Volcano Dust 2. Let it reduce a bit and then strained it to remove the solids. Cut 2 bones of each type, and sprinkled the SV ribs with some more Volcano Dust 2.

WOW! Very pleasant and distinct heat from these powders. The SV ribs were tender, but probably could have cooked a little longer, maybe at higher temp too. I made a second dipping sauce with Night of the Living Dead sauce, Blues Hog Regular,  and the solids from the sauce in the plated pic. This second sauce was REALLY good. The heat was definitely there, but not the kind that makes you break out in a full body sweat. The different peppers in the Volcano Dust 2 hit your tastebuds at slightly different moments so its  kind of a rolling heat. The egged ribs were superior though - great smokey flavor from the pecan, good bits of bark, and the chocolate pot pepper rounded out its flavor profile during the cook.

I will definitely do these again, but I don't think SWMBO wants me to. She will probably get the SV rack which didn't have the Volcano dust in the rub :) 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments