Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Years Pork Fest!

Options
blakeas
blakeas Posts: 244

OK BGE'ers - I am going to have a bunch of people over on New years day - all day..  Wanted to cook various pork items.  I know I want to do Pork tenderloin bacon wrapped and I know I want to do baby back ribs but also wanted to do one more.  Any suggestions?  Pork butt?  Pork chop??

Any recipes or suggestions on all 3 would be appreciated!

Comments

• apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    Butt, breast, I love them all!

Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    A good traditional choice @blakeas The pig is heavens greatest creature. It is king. So many choices that you can do with it. I think it depends on your company and what kind of "party" it is going to be and how you see them eating - formal sit-down, or informally standing and chatting.
    • Informal: Sausage sandwiches with peppers and onions or sauerkraut as topping.
    • Formal/traditional: A Rib End roast, with potatoes and sauerkraut
    • Both: Bacon wrapped pork tenderloin in individual sizes- that is delicious and easy as it gets, and totally different than doing it all in one piece.
    • A pork belly roast with salt pepper and thyme.
    • Pulled pork goes a long way, and along with the ribs if you have a setup that allows multiple level cooking, then placed in a cooler while the tenderloin cooks - it can all be served at once.
    • Pig shots. (Sausage wrapped in back and filled with some cheese.)

The choices are almost endless....

As far as recipes - there are a couple hundred for each one listed. Pick a easier one, and let the egg do its thing. It will be delicious, and everyone will have fun.

Let us know what you choose, and we need to see the pictures of course!

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • blakeas
    Options

doing a boston butt pulled pork (6lb pork shoulder butt from Heinens). want to eat around 1pm tomorrow. 

I was thinking of  using the following recipe:

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/blogs/editor/2014/06/chris-lillys-perfect-pork-bbq.html

Looks like good pulled pork!  How long will a 6 lb butt take to cook?

I am feeding around 12 people.  I have 2 pork tenderloins that I am going to bacon wrap - Should I inject them as well?  any rubs people suggest?

I am a fan of injecting so

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    The butt time is really temp dependent. If you cook 250, your looking at 1.5-2 hr /#. If you turbo at 350, 4-6 hr total time. Depends on what you want to do.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    I love stuffed tenderloins, so I would do some chops, a stuffed tenderloin, and then a pork butt.  Everyone would be happy and the food would go pretty far.  
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • blakeas
    Options
    seems like what I have read that cook time is closer to 10 hours at 225 for a 6lb butt?  Is that correct?
  • Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    Pork chops cook fast. Butt is low and slow, so if you eat at 1 pm you'd have to start verrry early !
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    blakeas said:
    seems like what I have read that cook time is closer to 10 hours at 225 for a 6lb butt?  Is that correct?

At least that at a temp that low.
  • blakeas
    Options
    my fire went out overnight - do I refire?  I got up a 4am to check on it and the butt was at 190 and then went back to sleep, came out at 7am and the fire was out.  or am I good?
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What was the temp of the butt at 7am, as long as it was at least 140 give or take, your golden.
  • blakeas
    Options
    temp was 169 at 7am.  it refired and is now up to 192
  • blakeas
    Options
    I have to say - I used Mickey's coffee rub on the pork tenderloin and it was unbelievable!  The ribs and the pulled pork were good but the coffee rub was out of this world....
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Glad you had a good meal. Sounds like fun cooking all that pig.