Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stainless steel & granite table for large big green egg

Options
Lindley
Lindley Posts: 13
edited December 2014 in EGG Table Forum
This is my first post here.  My wife bought me a LBGE and every conceivable accessory for my birthday last January.  It is still in the box!  I know... I know... 

But we built a new house and moved right after I got it, so it went unpacked until now.  I was waiting to get started on a custom table for it.  As they say, pictures are worth a thousand words, so I 'm going to let the photos do the talking.

I am not though with the table yet, but here is what I have so far.

Specifications:

3cm granite countertop - 30" x 60" -  Hole in center is 21.5" 
316 stainless steel 2" x 2" x 0.125" wall square tubing
5" stainless steel casters
Finished table height = 35"

The 316 stainless alloy has the addition of molybdenum which helps prevents specific forms of corrosion, like salt while cooking.  It is also known as marine grade stainless steel due to its increased resistance to chloride corrosion compared to type 304.

===============================================================================

We started with a trip to daddy's second favorite toy store - Aluminum & Stainless in downtown New Orleans.  (Note: the gun shop will remain the #1 favorite toy store indefinitely.)

Then a trip to pick up the granite.

Then it all sat on the garage floor for three months until my dear wife threatened to give away my Green Egg to the LOWEST bidder.  Uhhhh... time to get to work!

Finally making progress...

I hate to post an unfinished project, but I thought I would share what I have so far.  Thanks for looking!

-Lindley

New Orleans, La.  - Large Big Green Egg

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    That's funny - I posted my first post table question 1 minute after yours.  I really like your metal frame.  That would be my ideal.  I may just have to hire a welder...

Nice job - I'll be following your progress.
    Phoenix 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. I can't believe you let a BGE sit in a box for a year. ~X( The table looks like it's going to turn out awesome. If you hurry up and finish the table, you'll be able to grill up a steak for this years birthday.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Very cool. Casters or stationary?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Sweet! Any shelving or storage in the plans? What style casters did you decide on using?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Welcome. I just love little do-it-yourself projects. My question is how do you keep your shop so clean.
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Welcome Lindley! Your table is off to a great start. Can't wait to see it finished.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • badinfluence
    Options

Welcome. I just love little do-it-yourself projects. My question is how do you keep your shop so clean.

It stays clean cuz it takes him a year to do a 8 hour project. ..lol. j/k

looks great though and welcome
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Lindley
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the comments, everyone!

I'll try to answer a few questions.

I plan on using casters.  Two locking and two free wheel.  (Not much change in grade down here below sea level. Ha!)     

Stainless Steel Swivel Plate Caster w/ 4" dia x 1-1/4" wide Polyurethane Wheel

As for shelving, I plan to use the space under the middle shelf for storage.  I haven't decided if I'm going to close it in or leave it open.

On the middle shelf, the egg will rest on the round piece of granite that was removed from the hole on the table top.  Flanking that to the left or right, I haven't decided what to do yet.  I like the look of teak and stainless, but being in Louisiana, cypress is a logical choice as well.   But I may just stay away from all organic material and keep it bulletproof and carefree. 

I imagine the general layout will be something similar to this picture I saved a while back of someone's all-stainless rig.

As for time involved, sanding the mill finish off of the stainless took me about 3 hours and was by far the most dreaded part that kept me from starting the project earlier.  Hand sanding is worthless on stainless and even with a belt sander and a 4 1/2" angle grinder with sanding disks it is a lot of work.  Cutting the material and putting it together is definitely the fun part!  

I am using a Miller Millermatic 211 mig welder with 0.024" wire in 308L alloy.  It's not quite as pretty or precise as it would be if I were to TIG weld it, but MIG is much much faster and a lot more forgiving in terms of pre-fitting everything.   Although in terms of fit, everything has gone well so far and it remains very square (1/16" inch or less at each measurement so far).  I tack welded everything securely before doing any real welding, which makes all the difference.

Here's an example of a MIG weld before polishing or cleanup.  After the latter, it blends right in with the surrounding steel color.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Set that thing up temporary and cook something! Oh yeah, I'm major jelly of you plans and skills.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nice job and welcome to the forum!

I'm in Algiers Point - where y'at?
    Nice job and welcome to the forum!

I'm in Algiers Point - where y'at?
    Love me some Algiers.  Got a buddy there and kick it at Old Point Bar from time to time.  Nothing beats the fireworks on the 4th of July from Algiers Point!

We live Uptown.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I need to get some Argon - ran out a few years ago and haven't refilled my tank - probably needs an inspection.  I've been using flux core and I really want to do some TIG work. 
    Options
    Welcome
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• 10_42bbq
    Options
    That looks awesome so far.  I've always wanted to learn how to weld.

LBGE and MBGE.  Also have a seldom used and very jealous Weber gasser. 

Lexington, SC.

• Lindley
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Well, I finally got the table to a useable state. I used 39 out of the 40 feet of material to get to this point. I will likely add more horizontal pieces to the bottom for storing pizza stone, drip pan, chimney, etc. but after a year's wait my wife was anxious for some results and a trial run. I will eventually polish off the soot from the welds as well.

We enjoyed burgers and a pair of pork tenderloins tonight. Turned out great!! I'm very pleased so far.

[img]http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad124/Nouveau-Dixie/image.jpg1_zpseslzk81o.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad124/Nouveau-Dixie/image.jpg2_zpsagpaiehc.jpg[/mg]

[img]http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad124/Nouveau-Dixie/image.jpg3_zps4jxapfys.jpg[/img]
  • Lindley
    Options
    I am having trouble uploading photos from my iPad tonight. Try these.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Sweet. Nice welds. Btw your handle is upside down. We don't miss anything around here lol
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Lindley
    Options
    grege345 said:

Sweet. Nice welds. Btw your handle is upside down. We don't miss anything around here lol

That didn't take long. I was wondering who would be the first person to notice. I switched it after I took the photos... Apparently I was one too many Abita beers into assembly that night.
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    grege345 said:

Great job. Tell him to pound salt. Your handle is correctly installed. your egg and table are upside down. =))
    Now let's see some cooks
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Lindley said:

grege345 said:

That didn't take long. I was wondering who would be the first person to notice. I switched it after I took the photos... Apparently I was one too many Abita beers into assembly that night.
    How did you get that egg?  It was supposed to be shipped to Astralia!

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited February 2015
    Options
    That table looks great, love the look and the simplicity.

From the side view, it looks like your granite cracked at the cutout for the egg.  Did that happen putting the egg in?

Phoenix 
  • Lindley
    Options
    blasting said:

That table looks great, love the look and the simplicity.

From the side view, it looks like your granite cracked at the cutout for the egg.  Did that happen putting the egg in?

Can you believe it sat in my garage floor for month completely unharmed until the DAY BEFORE I finished the egg I took a misstep and cracked it. But it made putting it on he table much easier ha!
  • DaveRichardson
    Options

Nice looking table!  Simple and strong build.

And love the Abita part about assembly.....  Wish I could get more Abita here in Atlanta!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• milesvdustin
    Options

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)