Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

@Lit -- pan seared salmon

Options
TigerTony
TigerTony Posts: 1,078
edited December 2014 in Seafood
Can you explain how you cooked your pan-seared salmon. I saw how nice it looked and would like to try that method. 

I've had my eggs for 9 years and for some reason I have never cooked salmon. In fact I'm not sure I've ever eaten it. We eat lots of  seafood, speckled trout and flounders, shrimp and oysters  but not salmon.  I thought I'd give it a try.

Thanks!
"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
New Orleans

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Have you done salmon directly on the grill? Very easy and comes out fantastic
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • TigerTony
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @blind99 -- I've never cooked salmon.  I'm going to cook some today. I'm just trying to find a method that we will really enjoy. seared looked and sounded so good.  I'm cooking for  wife, daughter, granddaughter and myself.

New Orleans

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I just season the salmon then get a pan really hot and drop a pad of butter in then the salmon. Depending how hot the pan is it only takes a minute or 2 per side. I add more butter when I am going to flip it. If you have skin on salmon sear the non skin side first so you get a better sear on that side. I usually have another egg sitting at 350-400 indirect and pull the salmon from the pan and finish in the other egg. If your just using one egg just pull the pan and throw the platsetter in and add a chunk of light wood like peach/apple etc. The last time I did it I basted it at this part with an orange, honey, bourbon mixture that was really good. The indirect part timing is going to depend on how big a piece of salmon and how you like it cooked. Anywhere from 5-15 minutes indirect to get from a little raw inside to fully cooked.
  • TigerTony
    Options
    @Lit -- thanks so much!
    I'm ony way to the grocery to buy the salmon. $9.99 lb.
    I have two eggs, lg and med. I'll sear on the med in black skillet and finish to fully cook on the large. I have pecan chips for smoke. I'll find something to baste with.
    Will post pics.
    Thanks again!
    New Orleans