Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friendly Calibration Reminder

Options
Remember with the new year coming, calibrate your thermometer.  After setting up my Christmas Egg, I immediately checked, and it was reading about 25F low.  That got me thinking, the turkey I cooked Christmas Eve cooked much faster than I expected.  I attributed it realizing I overshot my temps a bit, and also with the probe being so close to the cold bird, I figured I was getting a bit of a false reading.  I also brined for the first time and know that can cut down on cooking time.  So while checking my new one, I thought, what the heck, let's see how accurate the old one is.  It was off by FIFTY DEGREES!!! 
LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Or just take thethe thermo out and just cook by feel. Outside of yesterday's prime rib, I havent used my thermo on my small in the last 10 or so cooks. I'm sure I'm close to my target temp based on settings alone.

You can also feel the egg and can tell the difference between 250, 400 and 650. Use you nose and eyes, then temp check and you can save your meat before it is murdered.

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....