Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

best way to Egg a New York Strip Roast?

Options
NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
Got a 6 lb boneless New York Strip Roast for tomorrow - but not sure best way to cook it?  Wrapped now in a wet rub of olive-oil/garlic/thyme/sage/s&p . . . . . should I sear first & then go indirect  . . . or reverse sear?  Also, any wood suggestions?  Open to any suggestions, thanks!
Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Either way works. I prefer reverse sear. If you get a good crust from the rub you may not even need the sear.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    I'd go 375°direct until you have an IT temp of 125° in the heart of the roast. Pull and rest for about 20min or so... The crust should be fine at that point having gone direct and the rest will allow for the rise which should get the end cuts done for those that like them well...
  • NDG
    Options
    Great thanks guys . . . I will skip the wood but some options to consider still . . hmmm.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    Options
    Turned out freakkin amazing - went indirect at 350ish until about 115F then pulled for direct. Got the cast iron blazin hot and seared all 4 sides - sorry no pics - thanks for the advice.
    Columbus, OH

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    @NDG we're cooking one of those tonight - ours has a thick fat cap, how much of that did you trim, if any?
  • NDG
    Options
    @legume Yes ours had thick fat cap as well . . I removed all the hard parts, ended up cutting off all but a 1/4" inch of so.  Then we made the wet herb rub (olive oil, fresh thyme, fresh sage, garlic, s&p) and wrapped it tight in plastic wrap for a few hours. 
    Columbus, OH