Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wood or lump Coal

Options
Is it ok to use just mesquite wood in the green egg or must you mix it will lump coal? I want to smoke a butt? Your thoughts

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Never tried it, but my guess is all Mesquite would be overpowering. I'd go lump with some chips or chunks.
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I would think it would be really hard to keep a fire that is not blazing hot with just wood. I would mix with the lump.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    no

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    Go with lump charcoal, but with some wood chunks mixed in......I usually go with around a 3:1 to 4:1 mix of lump to whatever wood I'm using.  And I'm with TJ......I would think mesquite would not be preferred to smoke a pork butt.  Never used it for a butt, but I prefer hickory, apple, cherry, pecan or oak.  And I love mesquite and use it often, but more for hot and fast cooks like chicken, steaks or burgers.     

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    bvdw said:
    Is it ok to use just mesquite wood in the green egg or must you mix it will lump coal? I want to smoke a butt? Your thoughts
    If you think that's the way to go, try it and let us know the results. I think there will an abundance of smoke. 
  • bvdw
    bvdw Posts: 37
    Options
    thanks for the input

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options
    bvdw said:
    thanks for the input

:)) Well put.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns