Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Appetizer Suggestions

Options
I am looking for 1-2 of your favorite appetizer/finger foods to make on the BGE.  We are hosting Christmas Eve this year and we do hors d'oeuvres.  I am a newb compared to most here.  I would like something that shows off the egg but I do not have to be Bobby Flay to make.  

Thanks

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    we like mushrooms stuffed with a little cream cheese, some pepper jelly and topped with some prosciutto
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    wings
    Options
    ABTs, Wings and Bacon Wrapped Tator Tots!!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Legume
    Options
    actually - you can do a variety of stuffed mushrooms, they're easy to make and grill.  just pick some flavor combos you like from other recipes and combine in the mushrooms (as long as there's cheese).  BigGreenCraig posted some buffalo chicken stuffed mushrooms that look really good, I've also seen mozzarella balls and pepperoni, blue chesse/chopped dates/balsamic syrup, etc.  you get the idea.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    ABTs, mushrooms, buffalo cauliflower, almost anything wrapped with bacon. Been want to try bacon wrapped onion rings myself.
  • Bwill
    Bwill Posts: 102
    Options
    @Legume-My wife would love the shrooms but I a just cant get into them.  Never been a fan of them.

@Fence0407-The tater tots are a great idea.  So simple.  I probably could wrap anything in bacon and it would be a hit right?

Surprisingly I have yet to make wings yet.  Anyone have a good recipe for them?  
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Bwill said:
    @Legume-My wife would love the shrooms but I a just cant get into them.  Never been a fan of them.

@Fence0407-The tater tots are a great idea.  So simple.  I probably could wrap anything in bacon and it would be a hit right?

Surprisingly I have yet to make wings yet.  Anyone have a good recipe for them?  
    The tator tots turn out great. Season the bacon with your favorite rub and cook them indirect until the bacon is cooked. I think @Cazzy has made wings before.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    shrimp lejon and something i had this summer was teryake tuna cubes with pineapple cubes on big tooth pick skewers
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Stick meat. All up front prep, next to no cook time. Satay, Kebabs, lamb spedini or butterflied and skewered shrimp.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Pig Shots are one of my favorites.  Little bit of prep time but definitely worth it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Pig shots are great,

Armadillo(Turtle) eggs are good but a PITA to make.

Candied bacon

Chicken Bites (these are great and easy)

Makes about 2 1/2 to 3 Dozen
    Ingredients:

***Basting Sauce***
        1/3 cup brown sugar
        1/4 cup honey
        1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
        1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
        ***Chicken***
        1 to 1 1/4 pounds chicken breast halves
        1 package (12 ounces) uncooked bacon (thin slices)
        Creole seasoning or seasoned salt blend
        ground black pepper

Preparation:
    • Line a roasting pan or large jelly roll pan with foil and place a cake cooling rack in the pan. Or, use a disposable pan with rack.
    • Heat Egg to 425°.
    • Combine the brown sugar, honey, mustard, and vinegar in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and set aside.
    • Wash chicken and pat dry; sprinkle with seasoned salt blend or a Creole style seasoning blend.
    • Cut the chicken into bite-size chunks or strips.
    • Cut the bacon in thirds crosswise. for larger chunks of chicken, cut bacon in halves.
    • Wrap each chicken chunk with a piece of bacon; arrange, seam side down, on the rack. Repeat with the remaining chunks and bacon. For larger chunks, feel free to use toothpicks to fasten the bacon securely.
    • Sprinkle the bacon wrapped chicken with pepper.
    • Baste with the sauce and bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, until bacon is crisp, basting frequently and turning about halfway through the baking time.
    Makes about 2 1/2 to 3 dozen bacon wrapped chicken bites.

Garnerville, NY
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited December 2014
    Options
    MOINK BALLS!

and Potato Skins
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Bwill
    Bwill Posts: 102
    Options
    Can someone point me in the direction of a recipe for Pig Shots?  I have done a search on here and have found 50 variations but I guess I am looking to start at the original and go from there.  I appreciate the versatility of these but makes it hard for a first timer to figure out which way is up.  
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @Bwill
    Here's a good starting point with a recipe:

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Legume
    Options
    maybe it was another thread, but recently someone posted about stuffed bacon wrapped dates.  I ate at a tapas place the other night and had dates stuffed with an almond and blue cheese, wrapped in bacon and then drizzled with something like balsamic syrup.  f'n amazing.  I'm making these for sure - they were rich, but incredible flavor, really great contrast to everything else.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Legume said:
    maybe it was another thread, but recently someone posted about stuffed bacon wrapped dates.  I ate at a tapas place the other night and had dates stuffed with an almond and blue cheese, wrapped in bacon and then drizzled with something like balsamic syrup.  f'n amazing.  I'm making these for sure - they were rich, but incredible flavor, really great contrast to everything else.
    I did bacon wrapped dates last weekend. Stuffed with goat cheese that I first seasoned well with Dizzy Pig Pineapplehead, wrapped in 1/4 strip bacon, the gave them another coat before on the egg indirect at 350* until the bacon crisped up. Amazing sweet app idea.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Legume
    Options
    yes, that was it!  awesome idea - it was in the back of my mind and had to order when we saw them on the menu