Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Really Mistimed This Cook

Options
Cooked 13 lb turducken, instructions said 3.5 hours at 375, I smoked at under 250 so I figured 5-6 hours. Nope...4 hours and was 165 everywhere I stuck the thermapen.

Pulled and foiled and just hope for the best. Having a strong Bloody Mary to help cope.
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    The booze will make it all good. You are your own worst critic (as we all are). Your guests will love it . I've found that time estimates for turkeys are always way off. I plan for 2 hours for a 12 lbs bird at 375°F  and just roll from  there.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Seems like everyone is having timing issues today. I thought I was way ahead of schedule, but my probe was in a bad spot. Almost made me late! I'm sure it will be fine. Mine was so juicy, you could put in the oven and it would have been good.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    caliking said:

The booze will make it all good. You are your own worst critic (as we all are). Your guests will love it . I've found that time estimates for turkeys are always way off. I plan for 2 hours for a 12 lbs bird at 375°F  and just roll from  there.

That's exactly what I have and figured as well. I'm now 2 1/2 in and only 140 in the breast. Go figure.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

My reasoning is that you can't be more than 2hrs over or under with my method. On T-day, with folks drinking and socializing, and appetizers, it is barely noticed.

Except by SWMBO. That you'll hear about for at least a year.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/turkeyroastingchart.html Spatchcock would be faster than this for sure. I think the times on this chart would include a 30 minute rest as temps increase to 165 IT Breast.
    Dave - Austin, TX