Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Issue Cooking First Turkey on Egg

Options
Ladeback69
Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
edited November 2014 in Forum Feedback
Ok I have a 20 lb bird and am cooking at 350 indirect and was told 15 minutes a pound. I put it on at 925 and at 1200 it was 165 on the bottom of the breast and 175 on the legs. The top breast deep is still only 147. Should. Pull it?
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• Ladeback69
    Options
    I'm thinking of pulling, tenting with foil and let it sit.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    I'd let it roll another 10 degrees until legs are 185. Understand your thoughts on cooking more once it's off the grill, but if your not pressed for time let it roll...

Enjoy the good eats...
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Pull it ent it and check temps again in 10 min. If its not where you want put it back on. You can't drop the temp after it gets to high.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Ladeback69
    Options
    Ok. I will check in another half hour. I was expecting 5 hours and eating at 5 so I started early.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    Well the legs were 200 do pulled it and just tenting top of breast. Next time I am spatchcocking it. That seems to cook easier.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,399
    Options
    FWIW- I plan around 12 mins/lb for the "traditional method"  when SWMBO delivers one that is too big to effectively spatchcock on a LBGE.  Regardless of conversation about every few years she just has to get the "grandee bird" so that presents a whole set of challenges.  Regardless, enjoy the cook and have a great Thanksgiving!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.