Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Himalayan Salt Block

Options
Richard Fl
Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
edited November 2014 in EggHead Forum

If you have been on the fence here is a great price IMHO.  I have had one for several years and it is a toy but fun to cook with.  Happy Thanksgiving!

http://www.saltworks.us/saltgifts.asp?utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Image+-+Holiday+Sales+Start+Now%21&utm_content=11%2F25%2F2014&utm_campaign=2014+November+-+Black+Friday

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Dang. I just bought one yesterday for that price. ONE.
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    $35 for two 8x8 blocks with free shipping.

I first saw them at an Egg-fest in Indianapolis, the guy wanted $90 each for them.

My first question - will it survive the shipping without cracks?

Second - how do you get grill marks on your steak? 
    :-?

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @DieselkW‌ 1. Good question, but those things are heavy. Not sure about fragility.

2. I gave up grill marks for as much crust as I can get. I won't go back. Now we'll see how this thing does with that.
  • BigGreenPackerFan
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    $35 for two 8x8 blocks with free shipping.

I first saw them at an Egg-fest in Indianapolis, the guy wanted $90 each for them.

My first question - will it survive the shipping without cracks?

Second - how do you get grill marks on your steak? 
    :-?

@DieselkW There are several brands of Himalayan salt rock on the market. If you saw one at an Eggfest it was probably the Salt Rox brand which I personally think is the best. Some brands you have to be very cautious at high temperatures as the rock can explode. The Salt Rox brand is guaranteed safe up to 700 degrees which is handy for cooking on the Egg IMO. They also now offer a 13" round block that fits beautifully in the Egg.

• VooDuuChild
    Options
    I love that stuff....we have it in our salt grinder and will never use anything else.  Much lighter, less overpowering...easier to work with...yum.  As for the cooking block...every time you would wash it...it would get smaller....hmmm
    1) XLBGE                  1) PK's Pro 100 pound capacity commercial grade electric smoker
    2) Chief smokers        1) Brinkmann...first smoker...gave to a buddy after years of great service.
    1) Char Broil Gas grill  1) Square Char Broil coal grill   1) Round XL Weber round coal grill
    1) Rotisserie for the Weber grill (AWESOME).....I don't have a problem, I can stop anytime I want...I can.
  • keepervodeflame
    Options
    I bought a really nice 13" round 2' thick Salt Rox block ($130) when they were all the rage. Followed the directions to the letter. Cracked almost all the way through on the first use and spit out a 2' chunk with enough force to make a pretty loud thumb inside the kettle. I thought I had cracked my fire box. No longer use it, but sear and do the same thing on a CI griddle. 
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Been wanting to pull the trigger on one since Moonbow Eggfest....just haven't been able to squeeze hard enough yet....

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• BigGreenPackerFan
    Options
    I bought a really nice 13" round 2' thick Salt Rox block ($130) when they were all the rage. Followed the directions to the letter. Cracked almost all the way through on the first use and spit out a 2' chunk with enough force to make a pretty loud thumb inside the kettle. I thought I had cracked my fire box. No longer use it, but sear and do the same thing on a CI griddle. 
    @keepervodeflame You may not want to mess with the Salt block based on your experience but they do have a lifetime warranty against cracking. You should be able to take it back to dealer or call Salt Rox and exchange.
  • DaveM
    DaveM Posts: 100
    Options
    Thx. Just bought one - i mean, 2.
    --Dave from Leesburg, VA BGE XL, Viking 42", Firepit with $16 grill