Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey adice needed - planning for lunch

Options
Fir those of you that eat your turkey day meal at lunch, what is your plan of attack for cooking the turkey on the egg? I was thinking of getting up around 3-3:30am and getting the turkey on by 4am and then off by noon and ready to eat by 1. But that doesn't leave much room for error time wise. Now I'm thinking maybe get it on around 11-12 the night before and take it off around 8-9am. But not sure how I should keep it warm without drying it out. What does everyone else do?

Comments

• BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    I have cooked a turkey and put in a pre-warmed cooler and it kept for about 2 hours without any problem. Not sure about 4-5 hours
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I would not cook it overnight and then keep it warm for hours.  I like to pull my turkey from the heat and serve it in about an hour.  I'm using my oven and a roasting bag, so I'll leave it in the bag until I'm ready to remove the stuffing and carve it up.  I'll suck the juices out though to start making the gravy shortly after the bird comes out of the oven.  Once the bird is out of the oven, the green bean casserole goes in.  I find turkey and chicken are at their moistest when they come out, the longer it sits, the drier the meat gets.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    8hours to cook a turkey? Must be one of those 45 pounders. Hope you have an XXL.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I cooked a 13 lb bird in 3 hr and change. I think you're over thinking.
  • Duckhook18
    Options
    I did an 18lb bird on the egg last year and we eat around noon. I cook at 350 with some apple wood, drip pan with veggies under the bird to make gravy. It only took 3.5 hours (12 minutes per pound) to be perfect. Don't know why you would cook a turkey for 8 hours...there is no fat to render so it seems like it would dry it out. Anyway...good luck.
    LBGE Knoxville, TN
  • kbutler84
    Options
    I was going off the mad max recipe that calls for 8 hours at 325 for a 20lb turkey
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Spatchcock it, sleep in, and still be on time for lunch. :)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    kbutler84 said:
    I was going off the mad max recipe that calls for 8 hours at 325 for a 20lb turkey
    Idon't know what mad max is, but 8 hours seems awfully long.

Most guidelines put a 20 pounder at 6 hours if stuffed, 5 hours if un-stuffed.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I spatchcock 12/13lb birds all the time (direct/raised) and we are talking 75/85 mins at 400. I have done a lot of these. Where are you getting your times?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.