Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mayo Crusted Burgers (Thanks RRP!)

Options
Credit for these goes to Ron (@RRP). The mayo created a nice outer crust that was still moist on the inside.

Seasoned with DP Cow Lick and slathered in Duke's mayo:

Fired up the mini and cooked some bacon that was seasoned with Bad Byron's Butt Rub:

Plated. Topped with avocado, cheese, bacon and Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce with a side of broccoli coleslaw:

Dessert consisted of finishing off this lovely bottle of bourbon...cheers!
Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
Cumming, GA  

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Heck yeah. That's some great looking burgers!!! :D
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Options
    Thanks @Jeremiah! They turned out great! I'd definitely recommend!  
    Cumming, GA  

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Thanks @fence0407‌. Glad you tried it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    looks good - never heard of DUKES mayo before . . better than hellmanns?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    NDG said:

Dukes is primarily a Southern mayo, but I bought mine here in IL at Wally World. Where it differs is it uses no sugar and IMHO has more twang, but I like it!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fence0407
    Options
    RRP said:
    Thanks @fence0407‌. Glad you tried it!
    They were good - thanks!
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options
    NDG said:
    Thanks! I've never had Hellmann's so I can't say one way or another. Sounds like Ron might have helped answer that!
    Cumming, GA  

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Got to try that
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• fence0407
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Got to try that
    Yup, agreed!
    Cumming, GA  

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    Options
    NDG said:
    Dukes is the only Mayo! All others are just cheap imitations!

It's a southern thang!
    Duncan, SC
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Okay wait. Lets get this straight. Just so we can give credit to where it's due.

@RRP is the inventor of "slathering" mayo on meat before cooking?  Correct?

Before this goes national, I'd like to acknowledge my mother whom ever since I can remember she would "rub" the outside of the turkey with Mayo (Blue Plate) before baking it in the oven. "I'm just saying.

I think this mayo thing is gonna take off ;)
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• fence0407
    Options
    TigerTony said:
    Okay wait. Lets get this straight. Just so we can give credit to where it's due.

@RRP is the inventor of "slathering" mayo on meat before cooking?  Correct?

Before this goes national, I'd like to acknowledge my mother whom ever since I can remember she would "rub" the outside of the turkey with Mayo (Blue Plate) before baking it in the oven. "I'm just saying.

I think this mayo thing is gonna take off ;)
    I gave credit to RRP since he was the first person I heard of trying it. I would have given credit to your mom had I learned it from her :P
    Cumming, GA  

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Burgers look awesome.  With everyone trying a mayo slather I will have to give it a shot.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • fence0407
    Options
    jcaspary said:
    Burgers look awesome.  With everyone trying a mayo slather I will have to give it a shot.
    Thanks! I felt the same way, so I tried it.
    Cumming, GA  

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I must try this on burgers.  My wife will really think I am crazy (she's originally from north the sweet tea line near Columbus, OH) now as I like mayo on everything.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • fence0407
    Options
    Haha @tarheelmatt - I married the southern bell so I'm the weird one for not liking mayo or sweet tea. Yeah, I get lots of weird looks when I say no thank you to sweat tea. I had also never heard of butter beans and this was her reaction:  :-O
    Cumming, GA  

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Haha... @fence0407  I love a butter bean with a ham hock in it!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Great looking burgers.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • fence0407
    Options
    Thanks @tulocay! A friend of mine who just got a large egg lives in Marietta as well. Think he's in the process of getting on here.
    Cumming, GA  

• cajunduck
    Options
    Looks great! How was the Bullet Bourbon? Almost picked up some last weekend.
    Geaux Tigers!! West Monroe, Louisiana
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You guys put sugar in your tea? And what is a butter bean??? Never tried Dukes I always thought it was a cheap imatation of Hellmans. :))

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    @JRWhitee...no sir we don't put sugar in our tea. Real sweet tea is made with a lot of "simple syrup". (But I guess since the syrup is made with a lot of sugar you have a point). Sweet tea, grits, gravy on southern fried steak for bfast, fried chicken, great bbq, thanksgiving fried turkeys, and Dukes mayo! Not to mention the weather and, oh nevermind. I could go on and on and make all you Yankees mad.

American by birth, SOUTHERN by the grace of God.

Note: No Yankees were offended in the writing of this post, it's all in good fun!
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • JRWhitee
    Options
    I am not a yankee, I am a damn yankee....you know, one that came south and never went back. =))

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • ksmyrl
    Options
    LOL...that's a good point @JRWhitee. You know the difference so there is hope for you yet. And let it be known that I married a damn yankee. But I'm certain my grandfather is rolling over in his grave due to that.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    I am not a yankee, I am a damn yankee....you know, one that came south and never went back. =))
    Carpetbagger!!!  And for the record butter beans are what you yankees refer to as lima beans.

I dropped a 6lb. butt on the egg Friday night slathered with Hellman's and Sweet Rub O Mine dry rub. 10 hrs at 260 and it hit 203 IT.  Wrapped, placed in the cooler then off to Athens to watch my Georgia Bulldogs whip the Auburn Tiger/War Eagle/Plainsmen.  Have to say the butt was quite moist but not positive it can be attributed to the mayo.  I'll definitely do it again.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JRWhitee
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Lima beans are the only beans I don't really like, that eggsplains it.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • fence0407
    Options
    cajunduck said:
    Looks great! How was the Bullet Bourbon? Almost picked up some last weekend.
    Thanks! Love Bulleit Bourbon - as you can probably tell by the empty 1.75L bottle. I like to switch things up though. Another favorite is Old Grand Dad 114 proof. Cheap, and it gets the job done!
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options
    @JRWhitee @ksmyrl @GATraveller

Love the banter! I've always lived in the south, born and raised. But when your parents don't drink sweet tea or eat butter beans, you marry a woman that does! Still can't bring myself to like them though...and what the hell's the deal with grits anyway?! :-&
    Cumming, GA  

• ksmyrl
    Options
    @fence0407, at the risk of hijacking your post. The deal with grits today is that folks generally make them with water and/or skim milk. My grandma's grits were made with heavy cream, butter, and maybe a little lard thrown in for good measure. I'm not suggesting this for every day consumption, which is why I rarely eat grits. But on the rare occasion I do eat grits its with heavy cream, it's a totally different experience. Then you take the cold grits leftover and fry them in bacon grease the next morning. I may be preaching to the choir, forgive me if so.

And BTW, those burgers looked awesome, I'm going to try that on my next burger cook. Love me some bourbon too.

• fence0407
    Options
    @ksmyrl - I could see why the grits I tried (with water I think) might not taste as good as the ones made with heavy cream and lard! If I ever come across some of those, I'll give them a shot. Until then, I will have to continue life sans grits.

I think you'd enjoy the burgers - give em a shot! Bourbon is my favorite and I often struggle with the decision between Golf, (Golf), or Cooking.
    Cumming, GA