Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has anyone tried this charcoal

Options
Has anyone tried FOGO charcoal. I normally use Rockwood or KJ but this sounds pretty good. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009P166SU?pc_redir=1414422151&robot_redir=1

A friend of a friend mentioned he just bought a bag this weekend. I didn't think to ask him where.

The whiz gives it a recommend and says it's great for low and slows.
1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

Yes, it's very good, and available from Amazon Prime, although the price tends to fluctuate a bit.  It's kind of a softer charcoal, so it tends to be rather sooty when you handle it, but it burns nicely and is fairly neutral.  It is usually considered good for low and slows because it usually has very large pieces, which can be useful for getting good airflow.  It also doesn't produce a lot of ash.

It's good charcoal, but I don't think it's better than Rockwood.  It's comparable, though.
    NOLA
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    Thanks @buzd504‌. I'll probably just stick with what I have. I have 10 bags of Rockwood. I don't think I'll be out any time soon.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I have about half a bag left right now. It burns a long time, big chunks comparable to RW in size. To me it imparts more flavor than RW. Also takes longer to burn clean. Overall, I liked it and will use again especially on pork or beef. If you don't like smoke on poultry it may be strong for you. YMMV
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    If you have a small or mini or are getting a mini max fogo burns way longer than OO or Rockwood. I have kept my mini at 300 for 8 hours and had lump left still. I keep it around just for low and slows or pool days when I don't mind waiting a couple extra minutes to get it started but know it will last so I don't have to go home to get more lump.
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    That's a great point @Lit‌ thanks man. I'm pretty sure I'm getting a mini max as soon as I can get my hands on one.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I really like it for long low n' slows. I remember one cook where I stacked it up in my XL until it was almost touching my plate setter. 15 hours later, had only burned down to the bottom of the fire ring.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker