Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mac n Cheese & Brats (help requested)

Options
So the plan for dinner tonight is bratwurst and a smoked Mac and Cheese. I would like to do them together so that they are done at the same time. I'm thinking about 350 indirect with the BGE extender (sausages on the bottom do they don't drip into the macaroni).

Before getting my egg, I would pre boil the brats in beer before grilling. Should I still do this, and what am I looking at for cook times for each? Thanks in advance.
Wear wood ewe hand eye bee width know spill Czech her???

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Only if you want brat flavored beer. ;) They should cook up fine next tot he mac. Not sure on teh time indirect at 350, though.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• cheeaa
    cheeaa Posts: 364
    Options
    I think it's all preference. I like to simmer them in a beer mixture with onions and a little butter on the egg for maybe half hour, then grill them up for a nice sear. Although, you dont have to boil them at all. You can just grill them straight up once the Mac is about done. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Like @cheeaa‌, said you don't have boil them in beer unless you want them flavored that way. On the Mac n Cheese, I have never done it on the egg, but I would think the cook time on the egg at 350 indirect would be about the the same. If it takes an hour in the oven at 350 I would think it would be the same. Brats don't take long to cook so you put them on at the last 15 minutes or so if you want them done at the same time.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • NCEggSmoker
    Options
    I generally make Alton Brown's mac and cheese and often use smoked gouda. Doing it in the egg with smoke sounds even better. Definitely stealing this idea.
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • EgginATL42
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys. I might just wait until the Mac and cheese is done and remove the plate setter to quickly grill up the brats. I typically use the beer for the flavor and to thin out any beer I might have that is less than spectacular (I'm a bit of a beer snob).
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,662
    Options
    @EgginATL42‌ I will send you my address and anytime you need to thin out the beer herd you can send them my way. ;)

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I cooked the costco mac and cheese in the egg not long ago and it was 45 minutes at 350 if I remember correctly. It said to cover with foil so I did most of the cook but let the egg get hot at the end and uncovered to give it a little bit of crisp to the top.Your sausage will cook way quicker than the mac and cheese even at 350 indirect it couldn't take more than 15-20 minutes for the brats.
  • EgginATL42
    Options
    @shtgunal3 you should have been around about 5 years ago when we moved houses. During the basement clean out we had about 5 cases of crap beer (Heineken and Coors Lite I think) that were leftover from our wedding a few years before (my parents made me get "beer that everyone else would like"). I couldn't in good faith give it to anyone I knew, so when I took the truckload of crap to the dump, I let the guys working there have it (with full disclosure). They didn't seem to care-- I think they mostly on a work release program from the county lockup (which was right next to the dump).
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    So the plan for dinner tonight is bratwurst and a smoked Mac and Cheese. I would like to do them together so that they are done at the same time. I'm thinking about 350 indirect with the BGE extender (sausages on the bottom do they don't drip into the macaroni). Before getting my egg, I would pre boil the brats in beer before grilling. Should I still do this, and what am I looking at for cook times for each? Thanks in advance.
    I'm confused by this statement.  I would think some brat juices would make the mac'n'cheese scrumpdilicious. But I guess that's because I'm the kind of cook that would also consider grilling the brats first, then slicing them up and mixing them in with the mac'n'cheese.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• RiverRatSkier
    Options
    Or slice the brats, cover the top of the Mac with the brats, then cook the whole works.
  • EgginATL42
    EgginATL42 Posts: 49
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I already plan on including pancetta in the Max and cheese. I'm concerned that the brat drippings would leave an oily residue on top of the Mac and Cheese.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,662
    Options

@shtgunal3 you should have been around about 5 years ago when we moved houses. During the basement clean out we had about 5 cases of crap beer (Heineken and Coors Lite I think) that were leftover from our wedding a few years before (my parents made me get "beer that everyone else would like"). I couldn't in good faith give it to anyone I knew, so when I took the truckload of crap to the dump, I let the guys working there have it (with full disclosure). They didn't seem to care-- I think they mostly on a work release program from the county lockup (which was right next to the dump).

I know what you mean. I normally keep 8-10 different beers on hand.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I already plan on including pancetta in the Max and cheese. I'm concerned that the brat drippings would leave an oily residue on top of the Mac and Cheese.
    Mmm, tasty oily residue.

OK, I'm weird and not the healthiest eater.
    I can microwave Lil' Smokies on a plate, eat the short sausages and then lick the plate clean.
    OK, only when home alone and the SWMBO is not around.

Some people have a sweet tooth, I have an animal fat tooth.  Guilty as charged, now hand over those pork rinds so I don't have to shoot you. :x
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• EgginATL42
    Options
    Well, here goes nothing!!!

Pre-bake Mac n Cheese. (with and without the topping).
  • EgginATL42
    Options
    ...one hour later...
  • EgginATL42
    Options
    And last but not least, the brats (referring to the sausages, not my kids).
  • EgginATL42
    Options
    Bonus Round!! Chocolate Frosted S'more Cookies

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Awesome, your making me hungry. Love the looks of the Mac n Cheese. :D
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.