Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small butt went on at 10 last night.

Options
Just a little 4 1/2 pounder rubbed with a combination of what I could find in the closet. Left it smoking at 235 degrees last night and woke up to find egg still chugging along at 225. It's amazing how consistent it cooks. Looking forward to NFL pulled pork this afternoon.

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Should take around 9-10 hours? Maybe even a little longer if that is your dome temp.

Don't forget pics!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    @r2davis65-Controller or commando with the temperature last night?  Regardless-great eats await.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • r2davis65
    r2davis65 Posts: 148
    Options
    I must have used bad lump as the fire burned out today. Heat was dropping so I took it off at 185 and had to finish in the oven for about an hour to get it up to 200. It's resting in foil now. I think I had too many small pieces and chips of lump. It was dark when i loaded the egg and didn't use all large lumps, which seem to work better. It looks good though, and we'll find out after a good rest.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I always try to put the large pieces at the bottom and smaller pieces on top. Also if I am doing a night cook I try if can to load the lump when it's light out or use a flashlight. I'm thinking of getting one of those grilling lights too. Bet it taste good.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Maybe I misread, but I don't understand. Your butt should have been done by about 6-7 AM. How could a 4.5 lb butt still not be some after nearly 20 hours?!

Why do folks keep thinking that pork butts need to rest? They absolutely do not. Take it off the grid, pull and eat. If its done early, FTC. Otherwise, enjoy!

Don't understand "arranging" lump either. I dump it out of the bag and light. I use a wiggle rod if the pieces are small. Been doing that for years.

Hope yours was good though. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Lvnthedrm
    Lvnthedrm Posts: 153
    Options
    For lighting at night, I have these.

Works great in the elements and doesn't need a lot of light to charge.

• r2davis65
    r2davis65 Posts: 148
    Options
    Carolina Q, I'm confused also. It went on at 10 and when I went to bed around 1:45, I was reading 141 internal temp. I checked again around 7 am and it was reading 162 internal. It then never got above 185 and that was around 1:30 pm. After that it started dropping as my egg fire started burning out. I was reading egg temp from both the dome and a Thermoworks TW8060, with two probes - one for internal meat and one for cooking temp. Maybe the Thermoworks is giving bad readings, but it was close to the dome thermometer. The butt pulled fine after a short oven cook, but I don't understand what happened. I've been egging since last January and this was my first problem cooking a butt.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I am with @Carolina Q, that small butt should have cooked in about 8 hrs at that temp (just a hunch).  

I don't arrange.  I just clean well before a long, low and slow, dump, light, and place the meat on.  Never had an issue.  

Cooked four butts last weekend and filled the egg up top the fire ring and they were done in 12hrs and only used the fire rings worth of lump.  The entire fire box was full still.  Matter of fact, I cooked yesterdays meal on the remaining lump (tenderloin, deer ribs, split breast).  Over 5 hours worth of cooking.    
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I tell you, I will add to other gripes.  Not sure why people want to cook butts that dang low.  Pump up the heat and enjoy faster.  No need to go that low.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I don't exactly arrange my lump. I clean out all the old, sweep out the ash and small pieces, poor in new lump which is usually large pieces at the top and put the old lump on top of that. I was told to get better air flow that you need larger pieces at the bottom. It works for my so that's what I am sticking to doing. I too thought it was to long and have done 9 pound butts in 6 hours, but I disagree on letting a pork butt sit for a little while. I pulled 2 butts right off the Egg one time and it wasn't as juicy when I did it many times before and it was juicier. It also seems to pull easier when it is not so hot for some reason for me. That could have just been those two butts. I will be doing 2 more again her soon and will see if I am right about letting them rest, because I am FTCing 2 pork butts, brisket, ribs and maybe chicken for more then 6 hours in a few weeks. This is just an opinion and different things may work for other people. I am just saying what has worked me me.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.