Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT A little wood turning today

Options
GeorgeS
GeorgeS Posts: 955
edited October 2014 in EggHead Forum
So I botched up my zebra wood handle pretty badly in the final hour and decided to do a little practice work with some less expensive wood before going back to the really good stuff. I found a local Guy who sells his cut offs at a decent price and bought a bunch of stuff to practice on. Turned this in about an hour.

photo 443F3F69-B8FA-4D58-A26C-B7DB8EF35B88_zpsr4kufu0o.jpg

photo 20D10B9B-2FB0-46C2-9DD1-7D0A58371D93_zpsj4spkzip.jpg
Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    Jealous!  That's the one woodworking technique I don't know how to do, and I don't have room in my shop for a lathe either.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    My Grandfather had the woodworking gift. Me not so much. If it's mechanical, electrical, refrigeration, plumbing, brazing/welding I'm good.
    Nice work Sir. Can't wait to see what ya do with the "good wood" on the lathe.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks awesome man! Nice work!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ Thanks!

@Botch‌ I bought a whole wood shop from a local guy that is taking care of a sick wife and had no time for it anymore. He is planing to downsize his home as well so it all had to go. Really sad to see he had to give it up but he was excited to sell it to a guy like me who is really excited to have it. He was afraid the guy who bought the whole lot would just tear it apart and sell it all off I think. I bought the lathe from another guy about a month ago. I'm super excited to be able to build stuff again. Im having a shed built in the back yard big enough to clear out the garage and it will be a dedicated wood and metal shop.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Absolutely way cool!!! I've been into woodworking for about 20yrs but have never touched a lathe. ^:)^ ^:)^

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    @cazzy‌ @Mattman3969‌ Thanks so much! Love to take a chunk of wood and turn it into something!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,492
    Options
    GeorgeS said:
    @Botch‌ I bought a whole wood shop from a local guy that is taking care of a sick wife and had no time for it anymore. He is planing to downsize his home as well so it all had to go. Really sad to see he had to give it up but he was excited to sell it to a guy like me who is really excited to have it. He was afraid the guy who bought the whole lot would just tear it apart and sell it all off I think. I bought the lathe from another guy about a month ago. I'm super excited to be able to build stuff again. Im having a shed built in the back yard big enough to clear out the garage and it will be a dedicated wood and metal shop.

Pics of the shop build when you do it!  I have a dedicated room in the basement, but still not enough room to rip an 8' sheet of ply end-to-end.  
    :|

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I have a lathe and have made plenty of designer firewood. Nicely done! If that's your practice piece, I can't wait to see the final product!
    Flint, Michigan
  • GeorgeS
    Options
    @Botch‌ Man I can't get the shed built quick enough! I've been working with Grizzly Tools Shop Planner software for a week now trying to figure out how I want to lay everything out. I feel you on tight quarters! My girls outdoor stuff and the yard stuff has pretty much rendered the garage useless!

@Fred19Flintstone‌ I completely understand the firewood! I screwed up the zebra wood so bad it will now be a mini spatula handle!
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I loved the lathe in woodshop high school, learned the craft from a great teacher, nice work sir, I see a custom egg handle in your future.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "