Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Eggtoberfest Feedback & Demo Egg

Options

This was our first Eggtoberfest and I can honestly say that my family and I had a great time! Of course we waddled away not wanting to eat anymore wings, sausage or ATB's. I will try to be precise in my post, but will probably be long as I am Eggstatic over our Demo Egg and to finally be an Egghead.

Since this was our first time attending we decided to arrive early (8:45). The line was already around the first corner and building so glad we made that choice. By the time the event opened at 9:30 the line was back pretty far, however it moved fairly quickly from what I saw. Once we got our wrist bands we then headed to pick up our swag bags. In my opinion I thought the items inside were great especially the string lights, but I have nothing to compare. Then we started our rounds through the sites - lots of breakfast items that were great! After making our first complete circuit we rested for a little while and listened to the band. Then back at it for lunch! I went and listened to Chris from Dizzy speak and give his tips. Then off for our last round. By this point in the afternoon the lines at most of the sites were so long. Again glad we arrived early!

At the end of the event we went back to the campground where we were staying and just missed the downpour! Since I had to pick up my demo egg I waited until around 6:30 and then drove back to the lot. This was a great process and very efficient in my opinion. Waited about 20 minutes, gave them my receipt and ID, and went into one of the lines where they loaded up the egg, the nest and accessories. Drove off and strapped everything in for my ride home the next day. Only issue was that the thermometer glass was broken, but the swapped it out with no problem. I picked up the Egg from site I19. Once I got the egg home and had the chance to inspect it I wondered if they even cooked on it. The plate setter does not look used at all, the rack was barely dirty and the smoke color in the egg was hardly noticeable. I was very thankful as I saw some eggs that were rough after the event.

Of course once we got it all set up I had to fire it up. Sorry no pics of the first cook as I was trying to learn how to control the temp more than cook on it. Ended up cooking some ABT's and some Beef Kabobs. Did both direct at 400F. They came out great in me and my family's opinion. Tonight I cooked a spatchcock chicken, direct, 375F then added some corn. It came out well, but I learned that my thermometers suck. I know what my first wish list item will be. Only mistake I made was that I threw some pineapple on at the end of the cook, but forgot about it. A few of the pineapple spears had a charred side to them, but the rest were great.

Positves of Eggtoberfest

• Amount of food
  • Swag bags
  • Tips from some of the cooks
  • Recipes - Can't wait to try these!
  • Demo pick up process
  • New Demo Egg!!!!!!

Dispappointments

• Long lines in the late afternoon ( I understand, but am glad I arrived early)
  • Little disappointed with the chef partner food
  • Prices in the Big Green Egg store - thought they would have offered a discount since I would not pay those prices at a dealer
  • Lack of demos or discussions for Newbies like myself

Overall great time and will be back for future Eggtoberfest.

Northwest GA, Large BGE (w/Nest), Plate Setter

Comments

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Thanks for the review. The wife and I have already decided that we will be using some vacation time and making the trip next year. Sucks that it is so long a wait...
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Did you strike up any discussions with cookers. I was in spot E2 cooking the jalapeno cornbread and I know I answered tons of questions about baking. I would have spent as much time as you felt like you needed answering questions.
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options

Appreciate the comments.  As Crimson Gator noted, you can ask the cooks just about anything--and if you tell them you are buying your first egg today, we will be glad to share any startup tips.  On the other hand, we stay pretty busy (your long line commnet) so I understand the difficulty.

FYI--the Georgia Mountain Fest in May each year in Hiawassee is a smaller event and you have more opportunity to talk to cooks perhaps.  Also, they have an Egging 101 as one of the classes normally.

If BGE would do it, they should do an Egging 101 class (at end of day) in the parking lot where there is a pickup line for the eggs--that would be a productive use of time while the eggs are being cooled down for pickup and you would have all the new buyers right there anyway. 

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    The retail store also does demo cooks and the North Georgia Eggers participate for Saturday cooks. There are plenty of resources out there to help you succeed.
  • weekender
    Options

@jcaspary - The lines were only long at the end of the day so do not let that deter you. We arrived early and ate more than enough food. It was great event.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

@crimsongator - I was able to speak with a few cooks on things such a their temps, set up, etc, but as many were very busy as @SmokinTiger81 said. This was especially true on the sites where they had limited people cooking and prepping. I knew they were busy so I did not want to bother them. Maybe if I am at the retail store I will go by for the Saturday cooks.

@SmokinTiger81 - Thanks for the tip about the Georgia Mountain Fest in May. Will definitely check that one out. Also love your idea of an Egging 101 class at the end of the day. That would be a great use of time while people wait to pick up their eggs. Maybe the mother ship will pick up that idea for next year!!

The best resource so far has been all the great Eggers on this forum. I have been searching all different topics for about a month now so I would be prepared to use my egg once I picked it up. Still have a lot to learn and I know I need some new "toys" to go with the egg, but cooking on it will be the best experience.

Thanks to all for their willingness to help.

Northwest GA, Large BGE (w/Nest), Plate Setter

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    To all the new guys: you might want to cut your teeth on a smaller Fest (that is sooo big). Much more hands on everything and more time to talk with the cooks. More of a huggie feeling than an event.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Congrats on the BGE!  Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Sounds like at great time.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    You won't learn anything at the Salado eggfest. ..but you'll drink enough alcohol to make yourself immune to ebola.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • dscox1
    dscox1 Posts: 9
    Options
    I am planning to go to Eggtoberfest this year. I am big fan of BGE but do not own one yet. Definitely interested in buying a Demo Egg if still available. Does anyone else have additional feedback on buying the Demo eggs at the event?  
    XL BGE
    Large BGE
    Weber Summit NG
  • gregg204
    gregg204 Posts: 23
    edited August 2015
    Options
    dscox1 said:
    I am planning to go to Eggtoberfest this year. I am big fan of BGE but do not own one yet. Definitely interested in buying a Demo Egg if still available. Does anyone else have additional feedback on buying the Demo eggs at the event?  

http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07ebcd84mvfe2a9dc5&llr=w8zrcxcab

Here this info and I've heard lots of positive feedback since you are purchasing a 1 time used discounted Egg
  • dscox1
    dscox1 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thank you. I went online and purchased this afternoon. Can't wait now for the Eggtoberfest event to get here so I can pick it up!
    XL BGE
    Large BGE
    Weber Summit NG
  • jlmoon
    jlmoon Posts: 3
    Options
    dscox1 said:
    Thank you. I went online and purchased this afternoon. Can't wait now for the Eggtoberfest event to get here so I can pick it up!

We just did the same thing.  So excited to try out our new toy and to attend our first Eggtoberfest!
  • jmayerdvm
    Options
    Just paid for my demo egg online and got two tickets for the fest in Oct. any word of advice what I definitely have to do/see at my first Eggfest? 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    jmayerdvm said:
    Just paid for my demo egg online and got two tickets for the fest in Oct. any word of advice what I definitely have to do/see at my first Eggfest? 
    Talk to every egger you can and enjoy the food!