Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

multiple pizzas, adjustable rig?

Options
I've got a BGE XL and I want to be able to cook a bunch of pizzas.  I've some friends with kids coming over and don't want to stack too many of them up waiting.

I've done two cooks of pizza already.  Takes about 6 minutes with the BGE really going.  I've done them using the BGE placesetter inverted (legs down) and a stone laid right on that.  

Now I'm debating whether it'll work to use a CGS Adjustable Rig.  I've got one and the setup I'm looking at thus far is:

BGE platesetter, in the down position (facing down with the legs up)
BGE grate
Stone on BGE grate
Adjustable Rig
20" grate on top
Stone on top of the 20" grate

My question is whether there's going to be too much temperature difference between the upper and lower stones?  The upper level of the Rig is about 7" higher than the regular grate.  

I suppose at these higher temps it probably doesn't matter "that much", but I'm curious as to whether others have run into problems.

Thoughts?

Comments

• wkearney99
    Options
    To follow up, it worked out nicely.  There wasn't a huge difference, cooking-wise between the stones.  If anything there was a difference front/back where the fire was hotter.  I tend to pile the lump around the back of the XL and have the fire ring indentation at the center rear.  This leaves two openings along the sides and one in the front.  The back/side portions of the stones were getting a bit more heat.  I moved the pies around a bit during the cooking.

I made 10 pies this way.  Some I did straight from dough to fire.  A few that had wetter toppings I did by pre-baking the dough a bit, pulling it off, loading it up and then back onto the BGE.   Most took around 7 minutes.

The winner was a neighbor's recipe of shrimp & calamari with a white sauce and smoked gouda cheese.  Taaaaaast-ee!

I'll get a picture of the setup before I break it down.  I'm going to attempt a Baltimore-style Pit Beef for dinner tonight.
  • wkearney99
    Options
    I should also mention that the Ceramic Grill Store folks were fantastic at shipping all the necessary bits of hardware for this.  While I only used the adjustable rig, grate and 20" stone, I do look forward to using the Woo and slider shelf when it comes time for ribs again.

For someone just looking to do two layers of pizza, the factory upper rack would probably work out fine.  That is, platesetter legs up, grate, stone, factory shelf and another stone.  

The challenge is finding places to store all the egg-cessories!  XL ones are HUGE.