Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seared rib eyes on Himalayan salt block

Options
I've been away on work in AZ. I wanted to give the Egg some work as soon as I got home. I picked up some fine looking thick cut Rib Eyes from my butcher and called it in. I was at an egg dealership and he had steaks seared on salt blocks... Amazing. Picked one up and slowly heated it up to 600 degrees raised direct and let er rip. Orzo salas and asparagus. Great to be home with the family. imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage Please forgive the begging Goldens.
You can't make the Club in the Tub. Denver via Columbus.
Lg, Mini & ol Webber

Comments

• BearQ
    BearQ Posts: 174
    Options
    How did you like the salt block? Looks interesting.
    Barrie,Ont.,Canada.
  • EggerinLA
    Options
    One of the best looking steaks I have seen on this site. You nailed it. Much better than most who get a lot of praise here. Good job.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Looks fantastic. I just got a salt block a couple weeks ago. Need to use it. Thanks for the inspiration.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    That looks awesome! I love the way the dogs are watching as if in a trance.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    EggerinLA said:
    One of the best looking steaks I have seen on this site. You nailed it. Much better than most who get a lot of praise here. Good job.
    Hah, you're such a dumbass.  Why don't you try actually contributing to the forum.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    DMW said:
    That looks awesome! I love the way the dogs are watching as if in a trance.

I agree.  The dog trance made me laugh!

@CMDordial  Great looking food man!  Beautiful dogs too!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Yes please! Cook awhile on the salt block then sear?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • CMCordial
    Options
    @blind99 - seared on the block and finished on the grill. It worked out great with the veggies after the steak. @BearQ‌ - I think the block was great, not something I will use every cook, but another tool in the arsenal.
    You can't make the Club in the Tub. Denver via Columbus.
    Lg, Mini & ol Webber
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Nice job....beautiful dogs.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have a salt block as well, haven't done steaks yet but I have done Scallops, shrimp, tilapia, salmon and veggies. They all are great, marinated the Scallops and shrimp in some EVOO, cumin, cayenne for an hour or so SWMBO said they taste like we are at a restaurant. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • dayzed&confused
    Options
    I just got a salt block. So far I have cooked the flank steak strips ( recipe came with the block ) . Cooked shrimp, asparagus, and fresh spinach. Everything was very good. I won't use it every time I cook but it is fun and it draws a lot of attention.
    San Angelo, texas
  • DocWonmug
    Options
    Can someone give some details on how this is used? It sounds like you heat it up slow to 600 and sear the raw steak on it - in other words, not doing any kind of a reverse sear kind of a thing? And then you finish it on the grill? At what temperature? And why not just do the whole cook on the salt block?

And do you do anything to clean the salt block after use? Just wipe it off? Use a grill brush?

I want to get a salt block, but am just starting my education on how to use them.

Thanks
    LBGE
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    Very nice!!
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Those look great. The dogs agree, nice pups ypu got there.
    Jacksonville FL