Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt experiment

Options
Eggpharmer
Eggpharmer Posts: 482
edited September 2014 in Pork
Recently joined Sam's club and bought a two pack pork butt. Cooked the first one on the day I bought it. The second one I rubbed down then froze. Just took it straight from the freezer to the egg at 250. Will let everyone know how it turns out. image
Austin, TX

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Looking forward to the report.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    That is a experiment. Interesting.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Good idea on applying the rub before freezing. I would still take a peek after an hour or so to make sure the thawing didn't cause the rub to run off. If it has, no big deal, just add some more rub as needed.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    love it.  I think Americas test kitchen did something about cooking frozen steaks recently.  it'll be cool to see how this works.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited September 2014
    Options
    The only problem I can see with pulling a frozen butt and throwing it in on the Egg is wondering how long it will take to thaw so I can insert my temp probe to monitor internal temp.  I kinda like to have the probe inserted, so there is no need to open the BGE once I start a low & slow.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    The frozen butt will do just fine. Will take a bit longer, but otherwise the same. I see no reason to add the rub before freezing though. You are freezing it so the seasoning is just gonna sit there on the surface. Just freeze the butt, take it out of the freezer when ready, apply the rub and have at it. As for the comment about opening the dome to insert the temp probe after the meat thaws a bit, it will take what, 5-10 seconds? Not gonna make any difference.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggpharmer
    Options
    After about 6 hours, IT is at 102 per Thermapen
    Austin, TX
  • Zmokin
    Options
    The frozen butt will do just fine. Will take a bit longer, but otherwise the same. I see no reason to add the rub before freezing though. You are freezing it so the seasoning is just gonna sit there on the surface. Just freeze the butt, take it out of the freezer when ready, apply the rub and have at it. As for the comment about opening the dome to insert the temp probe after the meat thaws a bit, it will take what, 5-10 seconds? Not gonna make any difference.
    5- 10 seconds, you have to be kidding me.  No way is that 5 lb butt going to thaw in 5 to 10 seconds.  Oh, maybe you mean it only takes 5-10 seconds to insert the probe.  But that wasn't my question.  My question was how long does it take to to thaw to insert the probe.  And even if insertion, is only 5 to 10 seconds, it takes time to get the probe, walk outside, open the egg, try to insert, oops still frozen, close the egg, back into the house we go.  try again later, Ok, is time now, walk back out side, try again.  OK, it works this time.  But wait, what happened to putting it on the egg and closing it and forgetting about it until the temp probe alarm goes off.  See, the whole frozen butt routine totally ruins the set it and forget it routine.

As for rubbing then freezing, I completely agree, if you want to throw a frozen butt on your egg, the smart thing is to rub it then freeze.  Dry rub will not stick worth a darn to a slab of frozen meat.  so by adding the rub while it is thawed, then wrapping it, the rub will stay on the meat much better than trying to put rub on an icecube.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Zmokin, what's the rush? The butt is gonna take a month of Sundays to cook. If an 8 lb butt will take 12-16 hours, you can wait at least 10 hours before you need to insert the probe. If it's not thawed by then, you have bigger problems! :) And if the rub won't stick to the frozen butt, spritz with some water, then the rub.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggpharmer
    Options
    I rubbed the butt and let it sit for a few minutes, then wrapped and froze. Not to season longer, just for ease of removing from freezer and placing on egg for this test.
    Rub wise looked pretty good when opening after six hours to check IT.

Plan to insert temp probe before bed tonight. Will update with IT then.
    Austin, TX
  • Eggpharmer
    Options
    It's early, but I'm out of beer....IT is 144 after about 9.5 hours. And, btw, it took 4 seconds to insert temp probe :)
    Austin, TX
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    5- 10 seconds, you have to be kidding me.  No way is that 5 lb butt going to thaw in 5 to 10 seconds.  Oh, maybe you mean it only takes 5-10 seconds to insert the probe.  But that wasn't my question.  My question was how long does it take to to thaw to insert the probe.  And even if insertion, is only 5 to 10 seconds, it takes time to get the probe, walk outside, open the egg, try to insert, oops still frozen, close the egg, back into the house we go.  try again later, Ok, is time now, walk back out side, try again.  OK, it works this time.  But wait, what happened to putting it on the egg and closing it and forgetting about it until the temp probe alarm goes off.  See, the whole frozen butt routine totally ruins the set it and forget it routine.

As for rubbing then freezing, I completely agree, if you want to throw a frozen butt on your egg, the smart thing is to rub it then freeze.  Dry rub will not stick worth a darn to a slab of frozen meat.  so by adding the rub while it is thawed, then wrapping it, the rub will stay on the meat much better than trying to put rub on an icecube.
    Zmokin...the dude said "after it is thawed" it will take 5-10 seconds (to put the probe in AFTER IT IS THAWED)

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Eggpharmer
    Options
    Coming off the egg. About 21 hours. Was about 8 pounds before cooking.
    Austin, TX
  • Eggpharmer
    Options
    Having trouble uploading pics...
    Austin, TX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Standing by patiently.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Eggpharmer
    Options
    Pulled and plated. imageimage
    Austin, TX
  • Zmokin
    Options
    Zmokin, what's the rush? The butt is gonna take a month of Sundays to cook. If an 8 lb butt will take 12-16 hours, you can wait at least 10 hours before you need to insert the probe. If it's not thawed by then, you have bigger problems! :) And if the rub won't stick to the frozen butt, spritz with some water, then the rub.
    I'm not the one trying to cook a frozen butt.  My original comment was the only problem I saw with cooking a frozen butt was you couldn't stick the probe in it at the beginning, something i like to do and now that I don't own a deep freeze, I'll never have a frozen raw butt to worry about.  I buy mine fresh when I'm ready to cook one.  The OP is the one that offered he rubs them, then freezes them, my comment was acknowledging that makes a lot of sense if you want to freeze a butt for cooking later.

• Eggpharmer
    Options
    SWMBO said it was one of the best ever...her mom made the comment that it was 'so delicious .' I thought the bark was not as good as what I usually get. There seemed to be less of it. Might need to add more rub while cooking once thawed some. I did get much better smoke ring for those that are interested in that, which makes sense. It also seemed juicer than normal. Can't really explain that...any ideas or was it just this butt?? I would definitely repeat this if buying a two pack and freezing one. Super easy to go straight on the egg frozen. Added about 5 hours to the normal 2 hour per pound cooking time at 250.
    Austin, TX
  • SWVABeanCounter
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this eggsperiment.  I hadn't thought of doing this, but it's good to know it will work out if need be.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

If you buy a 2 pack of butts and cook both instead.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Looks Awesome!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the eggsperiment. I too will probably buy an extra now when they are on sale , and freeze one. Never even thought about trying it that way.  Thanks, always learning from folks here on the forum.

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• ChicagoEgghead20
    Options

@eggpharmer what type of gasket do you have? Mine came off this past weekend after having it for 3 months, in the market for a new one. 
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    I did this once. The bark was stupendous. If you're going to open the cryo and rub it first before freezing, take a temp probe and freeze it into the butt. Once frozen you can pull it back out. Then, later, you have a probe hole waiting for your cook.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Eggpharmer
    Options

@eggpharmer what type of gasket do you have? Mine came off this past weekend after having it for 3 months, in the market for a new one. 

That's a Rutland from @RRP‌

@MaskedMarvel‌ - that's a great idea, thanks
    Austin, TX
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    For an experiment, I call this a fail. You have an independent variable, but where's your controlled variable? I think you need to repeat it and cook two butts side by side, one frozen and one not, so that you can compare the results. As a scientist and a former science teacher, I give you a C. ;)  Just kidding. Looks like it came out pretty good from where I'm sitting. I usually just cook both butts at the same time and vac seal and freeze the leftovers. Although some would say that the leftovers aren't as good, they seem fine to me and it takes less time, effort and lump to just do them both at the same time. 'Scuse my rambling and back to topic...good job and thanks for sharing your results. Always fun to experiment with BBQ.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• ChicagoEgghead20
    Options
    @eggpharmer - thanks, I'll have to get one of those.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

I did this once. The bark was stupendous. If you're going to open the cryo and rub it first before freezing, take a temp probe and freeze it into the butt. Once frozen you can pull it back out. Then, later, you have a probe hole waiting for your cook.

I don't recommend creating new probe holes in ones butt. Just saying.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Capt
    Capt Posts: 1
    Options
    If you cook two Sam's club pork 7lb butts at the same time but separated a couple of inches, do you assume the cooking time is the same as one, or do you assume it is a 14llb butt & cook for 14 hours ?