Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Check out my new table - would love recommendations on the top

Options
Hello everybody!  So I just got my new table - loaded her in yesterday.  Our original plan was to cover the top with stainless steel but I just don't know about that look.  I like the natural wood but I know it will be a pain to keep clean if not impossible.  Suggestions?  I'm not opposed to tile but with my wife getting a vote it would have to be cool looking tile.  

Comments

• Philly35
    Options
    That's a beautiful looking table! That wood looks too nice to cover up. My suggestion would be to put about six or seven layers of helmsman spar urethane. It will clean up nice and easy. IMO there's too much getting thrown around on a grill table for tile.

Here's how mine turned out with the spar urethane. It was cedar wood and I stained it first.
    imageimage
    NW IOWA
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I am planning on starting my new table here shortly and I'm looking at tile for a top. I saw tile that looks like wood planking at lowes and I'm deff leaning that way fwiw
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Snydermerge
    Options
    Hey Philly .... thanks for the input. Love your table btw
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    It's hard to tell because of the darkness, but if your egg is sitting directly on the paver sitting directly on the wood, I would do something about that.  Either use the 3 little ceramic feet that should have come with your Egg, or buy the Table Nest that will lift your egg off the paver putting an insulating air gap between egg and Paver. 
    Your wood top looks awfully pretty to cover-up, especially with stainless. But if you want to cover it, have you considered granite?  I think a nice granite top would look good.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    grege345 said:

I am planning on starting my new table here shortly and I'm looking at tile for a top. I saw tile that looks like wood planking at lowes and I'm deff leaning that way fwiw

Really research that tile. If the tile is the same color on the sides as it is the top, your probably ok. If the side is different, I'd be careful. Look at stone or a natural material. Epoxy grout and a dark color. Even sealed the grout will stain.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    henapple said:
    Really research that tile. If the tile is the same color on the sides as it is the top, your probably ok. If the side is different, I'd be careful. Look at stone or a natural material. Epoxy grout and a dark color. Even sealed the grout will stain.

Noted. Ill hit you up when I go to pick out. I was thinking. Super thin grout line
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I suspect that granite and SS will be the most durable...maybe concrete. Whichever, I'd want to avoid staining while still allowing a good work surface. I picked up a nice big HD polyethylene cutting board for not much money. It's worked out really well for me. Great prep surface, easily cleanable, no risk of damaging knives.

Pretty reasonably priced, multiple colors, multiple thicknesses, very durable and they can just be hosed off when necessary. You can just lay it on the table and prep away without harming or staining your finished surface. some people peg them to the underlying surface to keep them from sliding around...I just put a few dabs of silicone on the underside and let it cure.

You can get such a cutting board custom made...color, size, thickness,

http://www.cuttingboards.net/custom-sized/?gclid=CMjtloWO8cACFa5cMgodTT0AJQ
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    If you have a local granite / stone shop in your area, you might consider a piece of granite just to put on top.  They often have scraps they will give you and might even cut it for a small fee just to get rid of it.  

That is really nice looking top and I wouldn't want to cover that!  

Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • LadyGT
    LadyGT Posts: 109
    Options
    I second granite.  A local shop here has good sized pieces they would love to have hauled away for free.
  • KentuckyBoy
    Options
    Granite all the way.