Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do I Cut cast iron?

Options
I've got an extra CI grate from my old gasser grill. This one is brand new. I would like to cut this into a 13 inch diameter circle and use it with a CGS spider for searing meat. What's the best way to cut cast iron? I will have to cut numerous small 1/4 to 1/2 inch bars to make this circle pattern out of the pictured grate below. Thanks. image
Dave - Austin, TX

Comments

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    A Sawzall or a die grinder.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Angle grinder or a dremel with a metal cutting wheel make a nice clean cut.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Angle grinder w/metal disc. I might go to a welding shop and get it plasma cut.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    All the above. Safety first, don't forget gloves and eye protection.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Maccool
    Maccool Posts: 191
    Options
    Agree, all of the above...but I'd be inclined to take it to a welding shop. Likely only cost a few $$ and a couple of minutes to get it plasma-cut.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Back before I had an angle grinder I used my SawsAll to cut this one out.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    Back before I had an angle grinder I used my SawsAll to cut this one out.
    Here's another way of looking at it! LOL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Ron, that looks like a nice clean cut.  I used a Sawzall a lot when I worked construction, but the blades I used must've been more "construction grade" rather than fine-tooth metal-cutting...

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• RRP
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Botch said:
    Ron, that looks like a nice clean cut.  I used a Sawzall a lot when I worked construction, but the blades I used must've been more "construction grade" rather than fine-tooth metal-cutting...

Yes they were fine toothed bi-metal blades. I actually cut out 3 of those, kept one and sold the others. That was before BGE made CI for the small eggs. Even in spite of the reciprocating SawsAll movement I only broke one piece of a grate and after looking at it close it had a casting flaw where it broke. 
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    Thanks Ron, that's what I need to do.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • tridogdude
    Options
    Use a 4-1/2" grinder with a 1/16" Metabo grinding disc. It will cut it like butter and little to no chatter/vibration.
    I would avoid using a sawzall. Bigger chance of breaking your piece. If you do go with a sawzall, use the Milwaukee Double Duty fine tooth blades. They hold up better than their standard one. Clamp the piece down good though.
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    Use a 4-1/2" grinder with a 1/16" Metabo grinding disc. It will cut it like butter and little to no chatter/vibration.
    I would avoid using a sawzall. Bigger chance of breaking your piece. If you do go with a sawzall, use the Milwaukee Double Duty fine tooth blades. They hold up better than their standard one. Clamp the piece down good though.

Thanks man. Are you talking about a bench grinder or a handheld one? Assume handheld angle grinder. @tridogdude‌
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    That's impressive with a reciprocating saw @RRP‌
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    edited September 2014
    Options
    @Terrebandit‌ fwiw this is what I used. Harbor freight specialimage
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Best way is with a band saw and a raked blade.   Cut-off abrasive on a grinder takes longer but works.  Sawzall works fine, bimetallic blade.  Hack saw and some elbow grease works well too.  Pretty much anything that cuts steel will cut cast iron, except cast iron is easier to cut.  Watch excess heat esp uneven, and cast iron will break on a score.
    Yeah, a 4-1/2" angle grinder. The Metabo blades are real thin and will cut through it like butter. I use these things at work all the time for steel, cast iron or stainless steel cuts on pipes that are hard to get at with other tools.

A hand held or upright mounted band saw would work good too but most people don't have these tools.
    Depending on the hardness and make up of the cast iron you are cutting, doing it with a hack saw or even some metal cutting sawzall blades, you will dull the blades very quickly. The Chinese have been using a fair amount of glass in their manufacturing of cast iron products and this makes it difficult to cut without going through a lot of blades.
  • Terrebandit
    Options
    Thanks man.
    Dave - Austin, TX