Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Green Egg Question

Options
I have been debating purchasing a Green Egg. I have found a guy that lives near me that is selling his SMALL Big Green Egg (Brand New In Box) along with nest, charcoal, and egg mates for $450. I wanted a bigger egg but for the price I may consider buying this one from this guy. When I cook I usually am only cooking for my wife and I. Our kids are only 5 and 2 so usually they just eat a hotdog. Anyways is this a good buy or should I hold out and buy a bigger one later on down the road. 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    No that is not a good price! main thing is the lifetime warranty does not transfer.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options

First up-welcome aboard and enjoy the soon to be journey.

Now some personal observations:  Unless you can guarantee (key word) that you will have the BGE warranty then the SBGE purchase price is too high. A ball-park rule of thumb is to discount the purchase price by about 50% w/o warranty-A new SBGE around here is about $550 (stand-alone) so that makes the BGE around $275 and you can adjust for the rest of the stuff that does no one any good w/o the BGE.  You can get good prices at an eggfest that includes the warranty.  Don't know your location but I would suggest looking that direction.

Regarding size of the BGE-the prevailing sentiment is "buy as big as you can afford".  The difference between the SBGE and LBGE is not that much once you figure that your kids will only be eating more and you will likely want to expand the volume of food you want to cook. A little bit of a jump to get to the XLBGE.  So, with all that I would look to go to a larger size.  However, if you can get the SBGE for "a steal" then do it and then buy the bigger BGE at an eggfest.  The preceeding are just opinions and we all know what those are worth.  I'm sure others will be along.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    The MiniMax should be out by years end. If you can wait. It should be priced approx. the same and it carry's their famous 'lifetime' warranty
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    It depends on you. For what comes with it, it's not a bad deal, but it's not a great deal. I would hold firm at $350 or maybe $400 max. Remember you are assuming all the risk because it has no warranty and that means a lot!

As far as size goes, you can cook for three (I'm counting your kids as one) on it no problem. When they get bigger and your grocery bill grows, it might get a little cramped. Many here use the small as their sidekick doing veggies, side dishes or overflow. I use mine like that. I bought my small for portability. Cooking at picnics, camping and what not is a breeze with the small. It's less portable (heavier) than the mini, but you get more real estate.

Good luck with your choice and welcome here!
    Flint, Michigan