Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Woo2 or Tiered Rack??

Options
I am looking to get something for my Egg that will allow me to cook in a 'raised' position. I see a lot of postings here that say "Cook at 350 raised direct" so here is my question.

What is the best way of accomplishing this and still have the most versatility? I have seen the Woo2 at the Ceramic Grill Store and tiered racks from BGE. From what I can gather:

Woo2:
Will put you level with the felt line (max height).  Is there a need to go higher?
Give you the ability to use the platesetter at the same time if desired

2 Tiered Rack:
Has a smaller grill surface
Can be used with the platesetter
Exceeds felt line if used with platesetter.

Your suggestions?

Comments

• Zarcon
    Zarcon Posts: 540
    Options
    Oh and the Woo2 is $46 but not sure how much a tiered rack is..
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    The CGW @ Tier is adjustable. Adjust-ability has benefits. 
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    XL would be a Woo2. Large would be the AR. IMHO
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Zarcon
    Options
    I have a Large.. where can I find this AR, which I'm assuming is adjustable rack?
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I have the adjustable Rig and love it, it is more expensive though but gives you a lot more capabilities.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I'd go with the Adjustable Rig. It's more versatile than other products.
  • Zarcon
    Options
    I did even notice the Adjustable Rig at the ceramic grill store. Looks very interesting. Reading what it does now..
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options

I love my two tier swing rack from CGW

• iSmoke
    Options
    I recently bought a swing out 2 tier rack from Ceramic Grill Works for my XL. They make one for all sizes. They're very sturdy. I made fajitas using a 17" cast iron pan for the veggies on the top rack while the flank steak cooked below. I was very impressed. http://ceramicgrillworks.com/product/large-2-tier-adjustable-swing-rack-system/
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I own a Swing Rack from CGW ... I don't especially care for it. I'm looking to possibly sell it and buy an AR.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Zarcon
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Yeah, I am liking the AR but not sure 'which' one I should get.

I have a platesetter already so I don't think I would need a spider or a stone for indirect. Of course, I already have a drip pan as well.

Seems the 'Starter Combo' is probably the better choice for me even though it says it comes with a spider and a grid (which I would want that).

http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-adjustable-rig-starter-combo/

There isn't any comments on this one though. So I am wondering if anyone has bought this or not..  haha

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Just an FYI, the AR doesn't fit with the plate setter on the Large, only the XL.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Zarcon
    Options
    DMW said:
    Just an FYI, the AR doesn't fit with the plate setter on the Large, only the XL.
    So my plate setter would be rendered useless with this AR? Umm, not good.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Zarcon said:

DMW said:

So my plate setter would be rendered useless with this AR? Umm, not good.

Correct, you would use a stone on the bottom level of the AR or add a spider and place the stone on the spider. A Woo is used with plate setter, but not as many options do setup as the AR. Just call Tom at CGS and he will talk you through the options and will not try to oversell you.

Another option is to build your own using an aftermarket grid and stainless steel bolts/nuts. Gives you raised direct and multi level options.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Zarcon
    Options
    Another option is to build your own using an aftermarket grid and stainless steel bolts/nuts. Gives you raised direct and multi level options.

Yeah, I thought about that too. I saw some DIY grids here that looked pretty good.
  • clintmiller
    Options
    I have an AR (with rig extender and oval stone) and love it. When I got it, I chose to get rid of my plate setter. So, I just use the various AR accessories for everything.

But if you already have a plate setter and really don't want to get rid of it, you could always use the plate setter and BGE grid for indirect cooks while using the AR for direct cooks. You'd lose the ability to do multi-level indirect cooks. The AR would be there to let you do raised direct and multi-level direct cooks.

Nothing wrong with that at all. Then, at some point in the future if you decided you wanted to do multi-level indirect cooks, you could buy one of the stones that works with the AR at some point in the future.

(As an aside, another AR accessory I find quite useful is the half-stone. It allows me to do direct on one side and indirect on the other.)
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I would go for the Ribs and Brisket (R&B) AR Combo for the large. Provides stone coverage for an entire rack of ribs. You will eventually get the AR grid extender as well someday. That give you an incredible number of options. Watch the video on the website.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    edited September 2014
    Options
    If you are looking for a cheap way to get "raised-direct", go buy 3 fire bricks at Home Depot for $.67 a piece. It raises the grid right to the felt line:
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    I used the Three Brick method for a while. Eventually bought the Woo2.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Stidrvr
    Stidrvr Posts: 54
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Yeah, so I thought about building my own two tiered rack. I actually got all of the bolts, nuts and washers. I picked up a second rack from Home Depot. When I started putting it together, I realized that the legs were going to be in the way of what I wanted to use it for. So I returned the rack to HD.

I then decided to try the brick method. I wrapped 3 in tin foil. This is also a disaster. Since I move my egg outside when I use it the bricks sometimes fall inside. Also it it very wobbly, you can't use a grill brush on the grate of the bricks fall in.

If you're planning on spending the money on something. DO It you'll thank yourself in the end. I plan on picking up an AR soon, but am also think about grabbing a Woo as well.
  • fence0407
    Options
    Stidrvr said:

I then decided to try the brick method. I wrapped 3 in tin foil. This is also a disaster. Since I move my egg outside when I use it the bricks sometimes fall inside. Also it it very wobbly, you can't use a grill brush on the grate of the bricks fall in.
    I've never wrapped mine in tin foil. Never had a problem with the bricks falling inside and my egg sits outdoors. I also use a grill brush and have never had an issue. Maybe the foil makes them wobbly. 
    Cumming, GA  

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    One other thing to consider is using one grate on the fire ring, then use the 3 bricks and put the second grate on the bricks.  Provides lots of stability w/o the balancing act.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I have swing grate and I like it. image
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Zarcon
    Options
    Great info guys! Since SWMBO bought me the whole Large BGE kit that included the plate setter for my birthday, I would have to tell her that I am not going to need it b-(

Of course the cheapest way to resolve this would be with the 3 fire brick method.

Maybe I can start asking for things like a 'Woo2' or an AR for Christmas :)

Here's a question for you: How many of you grill with your grid ABOVE the felt line? Another words, when you hear people say 'Raised direct' on the forums, are they referring to 'at the felt line'?

• Stidrvr
    Options
    Most of mine is done at felt/raised direct. Burgers, brats, chicken, etc. I usually do steaks on the fire ring @lousubcap‌ I never thought about the bricks on the grate idea.
  • grege345
    Options
    Pizza, spatchcock, and most other poultry and boston butt I do high in the dome. Ribs, burgers, and cast iron pan cooks go raised to felt line.

• fence0407
    Options
    I consider cooking AT the felt line (like in my picture above) as being "raised direct". I also have the "folding grid extender" from bge that would allow me to use the fire bricks and extend above the felt line if need be.

I would say "raised-direct" would be the 3 bricks or whatever gets you to the felt line.
    Cumming, GA  

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options

@Zarcon-I generally go above the gasket line for raised direct and sometimes indirect.  I have the swing rack (and the fire bricks from my early days) and will go two-three inches above if cooking things where I want to maximize distance from the lump (grease flareups) during the cook. FWIW-

BTW-you don't have to tell SWMBO about the use/nonuse of the platesetter.  Mine would be totally clueless during that conversation :)>-   YMMV-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • grege345
    Options

• Zarcon
    Options
    Due to an 'issue' that I had with Home Depot regarding a remodeling project that ended up me documenting 7 pages worth of stuff and demanding a refund, I vowed to never shop there again..

Hopefully Lowes sells those fire bricks too. I looked on the website and saw some, but they were $36. not sure if that was a-piece or not.. Maybe they are just not advertised.