Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings - Help with grate temps

Options
imageimageWhile the wife gave the thumbs up for my first attempt at wings I was not impressed and I need some guidance. As you can probably see in the picture, some are cooked to temp and others are burnt. I used the Woo2 and my 18" CI grate after looking at a few pictures from other other posts. But I had some wings that were over cooked and some that were under cooked. Plus I had some that were stuck to the grate which cause them to be stripped. 

I looked at other wing recipe posts and even with with the cages or the wing racks I don't think it would matter if my grill temps were not consistent. 

So I think the primary issue is that with my XL BGE and the Woo2 and the 18" CI grate, I didn't have a consistent temp for the entire grate. So, is there a trick to getting the grate up to an even temp for the entire grate? 

XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    If you are cooking direct you have to flip the wings and pay attention to how they are cooking and move and flip accordingly.
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    I did some today. 400 dome temp indirect for 50 minutes. Try indirect.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• pretzelb
    Options
    Maybe I will try indirect next time but we did enjoy the wings being crisp.

I guess I didn't peek enough while cooking. I saw some pictures where people used a rack to cook the wings. I figured if you use a rack the grate temp has to be even all around since you can move the individual wings around. So I thought I was missing a technique.
    XL egg owner, home brewer, jogger, coffee roaster, gamer 
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    I do mine indirect at 375-400 for 45-50 min.
    I run a skewer through an end, that way I can flip the whole skewer at one shot.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    I did some last night like I always do. 400 raised-direct turning every so often. Make sure your CI grate has been seasoned with vegetable oil BEFORE the wings go on and make sure its hot. This should help with the wings sticking. Also, use a little corn starch in your dry rub to help crisp them. Sauce the last 10 minutes if you wish.

Practice, practice, practice! 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Did direct one time and wasn't impressed.  Have done indirect raised and like them better.  

400° was my target.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Another vote for 400 indirect no flip, no peek. Color of these from the marinate, not sauce.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    for me its 300 direct, minimal amount of lump to increase the distance between fire and food. drumettes to the rear where its always hotter, wingettes to the front of the egg. i always start skin side down and wait for the skin to crisp up before flipping. have never used cast iron for wings. i will rotate the grid if i have too
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    edited September 2014
    Options
    400 indirect or if you go direct, try raising the grid higher than the woo2. Also, when direct, start the fire in 3 spots and stir it up 10 minutes before you start cooking. That way you've got even 350 degree heat. Also, when direct manage the cook as @lit says.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Smokinpig said:

I did some today. 400 dome temp indirect for 50 minutes. Try indirect.

+1

They will be crispy

imageimage

Options
    Do this method and your problems will be solved.

Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • bboulier
    Options
    Most foods are best cooked on the Egg, but wings are the one food that is easier on a Weber bullet.  On the bullet. it's easy to cook indirect, alternating how close they are to the coals, and then to shift over to direct cooking for crisping.  I also switch the wings between the bullet and a gas grill if I have a large quantity of wings.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited September 2014
    Options
    bboulier said:
    Most foods are best cooked on the Egg, but wings are the one food that is easier on a Weber bullet.  On the bullet. it's easy to cook indirect, alternating how close they are to the coals, and then to shift over to direct cooking for crisping.  I also switch the wings between the bullet and a gas grill if I have a large quantity of wings.
    LOL...Use a Weber first and then go to gas grill! 

Just want to sell that lousy egg thing that someone forced on you? 

NO flames please, but this is a BGE forum...if you get my drift! 

Never mind!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lit
    Options
    I have never had a wing cooked indirect in an egg that I would say I was happy with the results. I can make them on the egg direct and then putting the plate setter in but wings are so much easier on the Weber kettle.
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Wings are easiest by picking up the phone and calling your local wang joint. But if you want GOOD wings put forth a little effort. I will put my indirect 400 degree wangs up against any of those places any day.

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    These were done with the 30-20-10 method, I did get distracted and the temp did creep to 400, which may be a good thing.image
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • drewmack
    Options
    RRP, what marinade did you use?
  • Lit
    Options

I guess the difference here is how people prefer their wings. I like mine with a little char on them and don't think the skin should ever be even slightly pulley. This is what my finished wings look like. from my experience yes indirect is easier but they cant compare. image